Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Joy Project, part 1

This past 13 months have been full of ups and downs for our family.  There have been lots of opportunities to give into a sense of hopelessness, despair, or anger.   We've been reminded first hand that this world is broken and full of trials and sorrow.   I think I've always been a glass full kind of girl and truthfully haven't had a lot of super bad things happen to me.  When you've had a pretty "blessed" life it's pretty easy to grow comfortable.  But not necessarily comfortable in a good way.  You see when life is "good" it's very easy to waste life complaining about minor things.  Then something big happens and suddenly you realize how ridiculous it is to waste your breath fussing about things that really don't matter.

 What is really important??

That's a hard question to answer.  
Is it education, money, the house you live in, getting married, having kids, relationships, friends, traveling, living forever???
What will make the biggest impact on those around you?
What will bring you the most satisfaction in life?
What will have an lasting impact and bring God glory?

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this.  I'm not sure there is one right answer.  In fact, I'm sure there's not.  We are all unique and created with different skills and talents so no two lives can ever or should ever be the same.

That being said, I think seeking to live a life full of joy and thanksgiving no matter the circumstances will lead you feeling satisfied (joyful!) and grateful for the many, small blessings that grace our lives each day.   Think of the people you know who find joy in the mundane and live a life full of gratitude.  I think they are the people that leave a lasting legacy, that impact lives for the better.

That's the kind of life I want to live.  I don't want to be blind to the blessings around me.  I want to appreciate each moment I have because my life could be halted at any moment.  I want to positively influence the lives of the people around me.  I want to live a grateful life, one that never overlooks the blessings God has bestowed upon me.

But what if your life sucks?!  Is it possible to still find joy on a daily basis?  I think so!

"The Joy Project" idea was triggered by Ann Voskamp, author of "One Thousand Gifts".  She spent a year focused on naming her blessings.  1000 of them in a list.  It changed her outlook on life.

I have read most of her book and listened to the first session of her bible study.

Here are some tidbits I wrote down after listening to her first bible study session.....


1)Living live with joy is a choice

2) I may choose to say yes.

3) Goal of the fullest life = joy?  (chara)

4) Height of our joy (charis) is dependant on our eucharisteo (thanksgiving)

5) In the bible, eucharisteo (thanksgiving) always precedes the miracle/blessing

6) Man’s first job was to name all the animals.

7)Naming offers the gift of recognition.

8) Name your joy!

More to come!!



No comments: