Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Allergic Rash??

Poor little Carson is having a tough week.  He has been so incredibly grumpy since last Wednesday.  Thankfully his fever is gone.  His disposition hasn't improved much yet though.  His ear looks much better than it did this weekend.  He still has a crappy cough and is cutting molars so I think that is what's bothering him now.  Hard to know when they don't talk!

Anyway, Carson was first diagnosed with an ear infection 2 1/2 weeks ago. He finished the first round of antibiotics on Sunday the 23rd.  That same day he developed an awful rash on his hip - bright red and almost pimply/blister-like in appearance.  There were a few satellite lesions too so I thought maybe it was a yeasty infection since he'd been on antibiotics.  I did wonder if it was an atypical allergic rash but he was off of them as of that day so I didn't think much about it.  It's improved A LOT this week (we treated it with Lotrimin and barrier creams).  This is what it looks like now....




Well, as you know poor Carson's ear was red again this weekend and on his 4th day of fever I took him into the urgent care.  I showed the urgent care doctor the rash on his hip and he agreed that it was probably candida although it was possibly an allergic rash, not likely though.

So, we restarted antibiotics, this time using Augmentin.  He hates the Augmentin but tolerated it okay aside from mild diarrhea.  Well, this morning when I was changing his diaper I noticed that he had a very faint rash on his arms, legs, and back.  Red little spots all over (tiny).

So, I called the pediatrician to see if she thought I should bring him in or give him one more dose of the Augmentin to verify it was an allergic rash (it's so faint I think it's hard to know for sure).  She said just to stop it, since it's on his limbs in addition to his trunk it's likely an allergic rash (rather than viral), no need to come in.

Since his ear looks better and his fever has broke we'll just watch him and hopefully not need to treat his ears any further.

Very difficult to see but he has faint red spots all over his arms, legs, and part of his trunk.
I asked if I should take him in for allergy testing to confirm before labeling him with a penicillin allergy but she said no.  

Hopefully, my smiley guy will be back soon.

Feifei (and other medical people) if you are reading this I am curious if you think this was really related to the Augmentin?  

No comments: