Monday, February 28, 2011

February Budget

How did we do??

Food:  -$1 (made it!)
Household:+$191
Fixed:+$192
Entertainment: -$61
Extra: +$20

TOTAL SAVED: $489 
(We could have come in over $500 but I was trying to bump up on household goods before our expensive month of March arrives.)

What were the big expenses?

1) Our household fixed expenses including gas, electric, and insurance are still at their highest (we think)
2)  Auto gas: $225
3) Medical Bills: $205
4) Extra month of tuition for Erik's preschool down payment for fall
5) High cut and highlight for me!
6)  Lainey's big girl room bedding, etc.

How are we feeling about being on a budget?

Great!

I was really, really worried when we moved that we wouldn't be able to make ends meet on the new, lower salary OR that doing so would require us to cut out all extras (dates, hair cuts, kids classes). It is encouraging to see that we are able to make it work plus their is a lot of freedom in KNOWING that when we buy things it is already accounted for - no guessing as to whether or not it was a smart purchase.

It does limit impulsive purchases somewhat and is slightly frustrating not to be able to shop for things, even very necessary things, without planning ahead.  Things like spring clothes, household supplies, lunches out, birthday gifts, etc. are all planned and accounted for before actually spending the money.  This is certainly a smart way to live but a switch for me.

What big expenses are we facing in March?

Having a baby!
Hosting family for about 2 weeks.
We owe $350 for Lainey's tubes.
I would like to build a raised garden bed and print out my blog from 2010 (they are on sale now).
Registration for the next session of gymnastics is due next week.


March is going to be a TOUGH month to save $500 from his basic paycheck.  We'll see if we make it.  If we do it will be quite an accomplishment! 

4 comments:

Austin & Terri said...

Great job! I am impressed :) You are so much more detailed than me. That's why Austin is in charge of our budget. Not that I'm a big spender or anything (I'm actually quite frugal), but I'd rather not plan of budget. Austin constantly tries to get me more involved, so I'm learning too, even if I don't necessarily want to!

Our family said...

Thanks Terri. I like keeping track but really have never done it quite so closely in the past. I am committed to tracking every penny spent for 1 year. If we are doing well and adjusted to our new spending limits then I will likely relax a little!

Hanna said...

Wow! Way to go! Thanks for doing these posts too--I think it's really helpful to see what it's like for a family with kids. :) And ack! New baby coming very soon!!

Our family said...

Hanna - The kids are EXPENSIVE! This may convince you to hold off for a looooong time! Ha!