Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ear Tubes

Waiting for Tubes!

Everything went well today.
Lainey and I stayed at my friend Karen's house last night because she lives 5 minutes from the surgery center and we live 90 minutes away.
Lainey slept great - from 7:30 to 6:30 (she went directly from bed to the car as we had to be there by 6:45 this morning).  
She woke up once at 11:54 PM requesting milk.  I thought this was funny as it was a very unusual request and only 6 minutes before she was supposed to be NPO so I let her have milk at midnight. 
I didn't sleep great.  I have a terrible sore throat plus I was feeling somewhat anxious and kept dreaming about possible surgery complications.  Oh well!  
Thankfully none of those dreams came true!

We got to the surgery center at 6:45.  The check in process was quick and Lainey charmed everyone she met.  She talked to everyone and took great care of her baby doll.
She was given some tylenol with codeine which seemed to kick in about 20 minutes after they gave it too her.  She was very tired and told me she wanted to take a nap.  She couldn't sit up on her own and was kind of floppy in general from it.  
Once that kicked in we went back to the OR.  I laid her down.  The CRNA and anesthesiologist told me she would likely fight the mask.  I told them I doubted it as she LOVES Erik's nebulizer.  

I asked her if she wanted a "breathing treatment."  She said yes and took the mask without any problems.  She was floppy and sleeping within 30 seconds.  I gave her a quick kiss and went back out to the waiting room.  No tears from anyone at this point.  


After 20 minutes Dr. Orfaly came out to let me know everything went well. 
He was able to drain a lot of fluid out of the left ear.  There wasn't much in the right ear.

5-10 minutes later the nurses came to get me.
Poor baby girl was SO upset.  Just crying and flailing.
It was sad to see.  She calmed down enough to drink a large glass of juice but then
went right back onto wailing.  
She kept crying for about an hour - through the car ride back to Karen's
and for about 30 minutes after we got there. 
She drank some milk and ate a bowl of cheerios and the crying stopped.
She snuggled on my lap for another 30-60 minutes and then went about life as
though nothing big had happened. 

I did fine until after I got back to Karen's when she was still SO upset.
I spent about 30 seconds teared up and then regained composure.  

I am glad it is over and that she did well.
I think (hope) it was the right decision and hope that she feels better soon!


If you call I may not answer. I still have a killer sore throat. (Darn Viruses!)
Erik is also a little under the weather.  He has had a cough with thick yellow snot for close to a month 
so I finally took him in and he is now on antibiotics for a sinus infection.  

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!
One more thing off of the list before the baby is born!


1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

I'm so glad the procedure went well :) How's she doing now?