Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Speech Eval

Well, Carson and I met with a speech pathologist and the birth to three team today.   It was pretty interesting.  He was very cooperative.

I know this little boy is smart and he seemed to prove that by testing at 27-28 months for receptive language skills.  His expressive language skills placed him at 14-15 months.  He needed to be at 13 months in order to qualify for speech. Ha!

So, the speech path agreed that there is a delay.  I think if I had pushed hard for him to qualify for services they would have figured a way to make an exception but again he didn't automatically qualify.

So, what they decided to do was wait another 6-8 weeks.  They said they'd call me back and see how he is doing once he's had tubes in place for a month or so.  If he hasn't made a huge improvement they will reevaluate him and likely enroll him in speech then.  They also sent me home with a "teaching your child to talk" book.

I am pretty sure the fluid in his ears is making it difficult for him to hear and therefore talk.  The chart sent to me by my cousin Julie seems to confirm that!  (I couldn't upload her chart, but a similar one is below.)

Similar Audiogram Chart

My interpretation of that chart is that anything below 40 decibels Carson can not hear at all or at least very well.  (Correct me if I'm wrong Julie, Melanie?) No wonder none of those sounds have been uttered by him yet.

My poor little thing.  He is still feeling miserable with lots of fluid in his ears, low grade temps, cough, and snotty nose.  It's been a long 3.5 weeks for him and his mommy! ( I have a call out to his pediatrician to see if we can't try a round of antibiotics since we will be undergoing general anesthesia soon and can't seem to shake the cough, snotty nose, and low grade fever.  We'll see what she says.)

1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

Any update on when they're going to place tubes?