Friday, September 28, 2012

Anger and Doubt

The last few weeks have been long ones for me.  As I mentioned in a previous post a number of people I know have been dealing with loss.  In addition to that I think my heart has just decided that 10 months (almost) after Daron was diagnosed with Leukemia is apparently a good time to be sad about it.  Odd the way our emotions work.  Too bad we can't be completely in control of the process.

Anyway, these less than ideal situations have left me feeling angry at times.  Wondering why God didn't stop these things from happening?  And at times doubting God's goodness.  Not very pleasant feelings!  I haven't really known what to do with these feeling and doubts.  I bought the book "If God is Good" by Randy Alcorn.  I've read a little bit and it seems okay but nothing that majorly stuck with me.    I also met with a Christian counselor to see if she had helpful insight.  Sometimes I think it's just helpful to talk about the way you are feeling.  She had a couple of helpful ideas, we'll see.

Well, I've been following a blog since last November called God's Got This.  I don't know how I stumbled upon it but it is a blog written by the family member of pastor Dave Stoecklein.  He was diagnosed with ALL in November 2011, just about 2 weeks before Daron's diagnosis.  He also went through intense chemo and a bone marrow transplant.  He is about a month ahead of Daron in the bone marrow recovery process and has just started preaching again. The series he just finished was called "Lessons From Leukemia."  I listened to all 5 sermons in 24 hours! Haha!  Only 3 sermons were actually led Pastor Dave Stoecklein, 2 sermons were led by his son.  (All 5 were good.)

Anyway, I find his insight/perspective extremely helpful.  He's a really amazing speaker and I found his sermons very encouraging.  I strongly strongly suggest that if you happen to be struggling with doubt or anger take 40 minutes and listen to at least one of his sermons.

Doubt?! -- My favorite Sermon

Lessons From Leukemia, Part 1

Lessons From Leukemia, Part 2

If anyone reading, listens to all or part of a sermon, let me know what you think.  I'm hooked and planning to listen to his sermons on a regular basis!

There is a little girl at Erik's school that has Leukemia, she's been fighting a battle for 12 months.
The school held a fundraiser for local families affected by pediatric cancer.  They asked all the students to wear Orange one day this week and asked if able that every student bring $1 to honor her fight against Leukemia and also in support of Pediatric Cancer month.  Seeing all the orange gear was something!  

1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

I would like to listen to one of his sermons too when I get the chance :) It's always good to hear another's perspective on faith in hard times. It is sooooo hard. Love all the orange!