Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Real Mission Begins

My first few days here have been spent either waiting at the hospital/clinic for appointments/tests or walking around and exploring San Francisco.  I have also spent time with Daron, Feifei, and now my friend Nicki.


There has been lots of walking.
This is a photo along Lands End trail where we saw a whale spouting, 
sea lions, and some naked sun bathers!

Pedicures with Nicki! 

But now reality is setting in. :(
I have given myself the first 2 of 8 (possibly 10) neupogen shots tonight.
They stung but weren't as bad as I anticipated.
Most patients that take Neupogen as donors get fairly significant bone pain after 
the 2nd day of meds.  We will see.
I have started taking Claritin which is supposed to help with bone pain and 
have pain meds available as well if needed. 

The harvests will be Wednesday/Thursday.
Please pray that they will be able to get access via my arm veins.
I have one good vein on my left arm but nothing very exciting on my right arm.
If they don't get good access in both arms then I will have to have a fairly large catheter in my neck
which involves having an incision made in my neck while I am awake.
I would get through it just fine but if I can avoid that I would prefer too of course!

4 comments:

akbwilliams said...

Erik and Lainey said to tell you we are eating watermelon.

mom2three said...

Thinnking of you, your brother and your family. You are all in our prayers.

Austin & Terri said...

Hang in there! You are amazing :)

Kristal said...

Your arms just HAVE to work.