Friday, August 16, 2013

Quick Trip to Kansas/Nebraska

My cousin Carly got married last weekend in Nebraska.  My cousin Ryan in getting married next weekend in Kansas.  I would love to be able to attend both weddings but my OB already gave me the stink eye when I told him I was flying at 34 weeks, no way would flying somewhere at 36 weeks be a good idea.  Ha!

Since I can't go to both but still wanted to see both sides of the family I decided to combine the trips.  Erik and I flew into Kansas last Thursday.  We had quite the adventure getting there that involved one cancelled direct flight, which was replaced with a non-direct flight, both legs of the non-direct flight were delayed.  Excellent.  We "only" got in 8 hours later than planned.  Surprisingly, US airways didn't seem to think compensation of any fashion was necessary despite the fact that we missed an entire day of our vacation.  Oh well. 

Anyway, we spent our first night at my Aunt Barbara's.  My grandma, cousins Austin and Terri and their baby Sadie were there in addition to the Swan family.  So nice for everyone to plan around us!

Friday afternoon Erik and I headed up to Lincoln.  This should take about 3.5 hours but took us 4.5 hours due to multiple motion sickness stops.  Poor kid!

We ate dinner with about 15 members of the Williams family late that night. 

Saturday morning we went to a farmer's market with a big crew of family.  After that Dad, Erik, and I went to the Lincoln Children's museum.  The wedding and rehearsal were both being held at the hotel we were all staying at which was really convenient. 

We gathered for quick family photos around 2:45 and spent the rest of the day at the wedding and reception.   My Dad and all 5 of his siblings were there which is quite impressive because they live in California, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Egypt!  Also impressive was the fact that 4 out of the 5 kids in my Grandpa's family are still alive and they were all at the wedding too. 

On Sunday we headed back to Kansas City.  We made it without any stops this time (thanks to a big dose of Atarax) and spent the afternoon swimming, eating, and walking.

Monday morning I took Erik to Legoland (met Terri and Sadie there) before going to the airport.  He had a blast!

Thankfully no trouble on our trip home!

It was busy and fun.  I'm so glad we were able to spend sometime in the midwest before baby #4 arrives.

 Post-wedding self portrait
(I don't think any other photos were taken of us! Oh well!)

 First attempt at using Atarax to help his motion sickness as Dramamine has failed us four times.
The first time I gave it to him he spit it out (mint flavored which he hates).
I gave him another dose and he slept for 3.5 hours!
I think he must have gotten about 1.5 doses because the next time I gave it too him it had 
no sedation effect at all.
 4-D movie in legoland. 
It was pretty fun - squirted us with water and bubbles.

No comments: