Friday, August 30, 2013

Birth Story Saga continued

Well, as you've gathered from the previous two posts things have not gone super well this week.  Could be WAY worse but we are still in the hospital as inpatients at 4 days of life which is not normal.

Why is that?

As I'd mentioned previously I had been feeling crappy for 2 weeks prior to delivery.  It turns out I have pnuemonia.  Dr. K had checked for this via portable chest x-ray immediately post-delivery and it was negative.  I still felt awful and was taking Robitusson AC every 4 hours in addition to Ibuprofen.  No relief.  Very miserable.  I had low grade fevers all week but no one paid any attention to them.  My OB was worried and ordered a repeat chest x-ray on Wednesday which showed pneumonia. He started me on antibiotics just before being discharged.  Well, 24 hours after being discharged I started spiking high temps (up to 103).  I called the on call OB and he insisted I go to the ER to be readmitted. :( So here I am.  Back in the hospital being pumped full of IV antibiotics.  I do feel significantly better tonight that I have in quite some time and an hoping and praying that continues.

Kyle is also still an inpatient.  He is doing great for an baby born at 36 weeks 1 day but has some hematology issues that make him likely to have very aggressive jaundice.  These are resolved usually by bill lights and he was started on them almost immediately after birth (around 12 hours I believe).  He's been fine the whole time - bilirubin never getting higher than 9 so far but he's had steady increases even with super high strength lamps.  Thankfully the numbers have stabilized in the past 24 hours but are not going down yet.  

So one of us has been hospitalized with pneumonia and the other has a unique, aggressive jaundice.  I am planning to tell you more about this specific issue in a separate post.  It's fairly confusing to I'm not sure how to explain it best (so I haven't explained it at all). :)

Not really the post partum journey I was hoping to take but certainly could be much worse.


No comments: