Monday, January 30, 2012

Morning Madness

How working moms manage to get themselves  and multiple kids out the door by 7 AM or so is beyond me.  I struggle to leave by 8:40 to drop Erik off at preschool with all of us dressed, showered (me), and fed.

This morning was extra adventurous.  The kids slept in until 7:00 AM which is great but put us behind "schedule."  Breakfast went fine but went I told the kids to get dressed Lainey was not interested.  So I went to help.  When I took her PJs off she threw a massive fit insisting she wanted to do it herself.  I put her PJs high up on the counter.  She ran and got a kitchen stool and climbed up to get them back.  I took them away again and made a short attempt to get her dressed.  She was kicking and flailing and screaming which made getting her dressed impossible.  It was already 8 AM at this point and I was still in my PJs so I took her upstairs and put her and her clothes in her room (locked).  I hate doing this but when she gets in these moods you can not rationalize with her and I knew I would have trouble being patient with her since we were running behind.

Once Lainey was contained I took the boys upstairs so I could shower.  Erik tried entertaining Carson but no matter what he did Carson wanted in the shower too.  (He always does.)  So, halfway through the shower he crawled in next to me. 

After I got out I went and checked on Lainey.  She was fully dressed and cooperative.  I went back to my bathroom, finished blow drying my hair and got dressed.

At this point I told Erik and Lainey to go downstairs and get their shoes on so we could leave.  Erik was hiding under my bed for some unknown reason.  He got out after a minute or two but had a comforter over his head acting like a monster (or so I thought).  I reminded him to go downstairs and get ready for school.

He headed downstairs and I took Carson into his room to get him dressed.  I then headed down to round up the other two. Lainey had her shoes on already but Erik was hiding face flat up against the wall in the shoe closet.

I asked him, "What are you doing?"  He wouldn't respond but Lainey informed me excitedly that, "Erik is a TIGER!"  Great.  I had him turn around and discovered that he had been under my bed applying tiger stripes all over his face with my mascara.

I had him get in the car, stripes and all, and handed him a wipe. We headed to school.

He was still fully striped 10 minutes later when we pulled into school.  I helped him get the mascara off but before he got out of the van I told him that he would have to remember not to "Roar" at the other kids too much today since he was a tiger.

He looked mortified and embarrassed.  Haha!!  He got out of the van with his hands over his face peeking through his fingers.   I did quickly reassure him that I was able to get all of the stripes off of his face so no one else would know he had been a tiger this morning.  He was quite relieved.

Always an adventure with small kids in the house!

5 comments:

Kristal said...

Oh, MAN!

Ben and Robyn said...

Only happens with 2 of us working on it - luckily, Ben and I leave for work about the same time, so we both help get the kids ready in the morning. Having said that, both kids, at one time or another, have gone to daycare 1)in their pjs with a bag of clothes for later, 2) in their socks or barefoot. In those instances, we like to really "lay on" the comments: "Hmmm, I wonder if the other kids will think it's funny that you still have your jammies on..." and "ooohhh, are your feet cold walking to the car in JUST your socks?" Funny thing is, I always find myself wondering how you stay-at-home moms do it...you actually have to HANG OUT WITH YOUR KIDS all day AFTER the stressful morning time! Haha! If I remember, the Love and Logic book has some great tips for how to make the morning routine go more smoothly! Good luck! :)

Tina Michelle said...

That sounds like a true mommy adventure!

Beautiful family.

Douglas said...

That is hilarious!!

Julie said...

How memorable! I shower the night before and usually put my make up on and eat my breakfast in the car. The kids sometimes eat theirs in the car too!