Sunday, January 8, 2012

Food challenge: on the road



So I (Victor) am traveling for reserve duty this weekend, and keeping up with the food challenge is … challenging.  Two flights with a layover (about 7 hours total) and a three-hour time change make the rules (no fast foods, no fried foods, only whole grain flours, etc.) harder to follow, not just because of the rules themselves, but finding places and ways to stick to them.  I know it was next to impossible to find locally-grown meat while on travel, so that one went out the window.

The plane wasn’t too bad – I chose peanuts over pretzels and cookies, and had water or coffee to drink.  Coffee was required as I left the house about 3am to catch a 6am flight in DC to the west coast.

Thankfully, one of the benefits of the military is the commissary (the grocery store), where selection and prices are supposed to be bigger and lower respectively.  One of my first stops here was to the commissary – I got apples, whole grain crackers, cheese (from Green Bay), whole grain bread, natural peanut butter and jelly.  I also spent some time the pop tart aisle.  They fit in the rules, right?

Okay, so I maybe I didn’t get those.

The other challenge is social – I felt compelled to have lunch/dinner with other folks traveling this weekend as well, so I didn’t pack much more than snacks for the day.  For lunch Saturday, we went to the base golf course restaurant; I got a salad, even though the California Turkey Club with fries looked very appealing.  I think the salad was the only thing on the menu which fit into the rules.

And for dinner, about 40 of us went to a bar & grill-type of restaurant.  None of the appetizers fit into the rules.  About half of the salad choices fit into the rules, and only some of the entrees fit the rules.  I wanted something other than leaves, so I splurged for a NY strip with mashed potatoes and asparagus (yum!).

So overall, while it’s a bit of a challenge to weed out options while eating out, it can be done.

1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

I love Pop Tarts...not going to lie! Way to stick to your goal!