Saturday, January 21, 2012

Food Challenge Week 10: No refined oils!

Well, we survived week 1 with no sugar or sweeteners!  It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

We did "cheat" twice, or let the kids cheat I should say.  Erik and Lainey filled their chore charts up this week and both happened to pick "Ice cream with Mom" out of the prize jar so I felt we needed to honor their hard work and took them out for ice cream.  (Victor took them since they earned their prizes on Wednesday and I was sick.)  Neither Victor nor I ate ice cream though. 

I also let them have 1/2 of a cupcake at a birthday party today.  Neither Victor nor I ate a cupcake either (I stayed home from this too due to the pneumonia.).

I had had a kind of cheat and bought some 83% dark chocolate to have as a sweet thing this week.  It was an excellent alternative to the normal desserts I would be eating even though there are 5g of sugar per serving.

Eliminating sugar from your diet does severely limit what processed foods you can buy.  There are only one or two options for cereal or crackers that fit the first nine week rules.  Even these things are going to be off limits this week.

Cutting out all refined oils is next to impossible.  I already use olive oil for most of my cooking at home but I think all processed foods are made with some type of refined oil so any snacks this week will have to be completely home made.

We are going to cut out sugar and sweeteners for one more week in addition to the oils just because I want the sugar load we are used to to become a bit more distant memory.  This will be a tough week I think.  I hope my kids don't whine about no crackers too much!


Here’s an easy checklist of oils to avoid:
For more info about this weeks challenge go here.

Wish us luck!