Saturday, November 17, 2012

Turkey Trot

Erik's school held it's annual Turkey Trot this morning.  It's a one mile (non-competetive) race/fundraiser.   Erik's best buddy James has been talking up the race to Erik for a month or so.  This morning, Erik declared that he didn't want to run it.  He was acting quite glum.  So I told him didn't have to but if he chose not to participate it meant he needed to stay home and rest.

He picked the race.  I really think the gloomy attitude is how Erik acts when he is nervous about something.  Once the race started he was full of smiles.  He's a pretty good little runner although lacks a bit of the competitive gene one of his parents may or may not possess.  Haha!

He ran the entire race and came across the finish line at 10:24 (another parent with a competitive gene that crossed the finish line was timing the race - not me!).

His buddy James probably crossed the finish line about a minute ahead of us.  James is extremely competitive and told me when I saw him at the finish line, " I saved my speed for the end."  He also said, " At the end when I was passing up everyone I would look behind and memorize their faces so I would know if they tried to pass me again."  Hahaha!   James likes to hold lessons for Erik during their playdates (math, money, history) and "coaches" a basketball team at recess (he just turned 7).  People are going to be working for James someday!

I have to say that James while quite competitive and clearly a leader, he is also extremely kind! The two are great buddies!

 James and Erik

Madison, James, Erik, and Lainey

Madison is James' sweet older sister.
  She is 8.5 years old and quiet, creative, and kind.
She is very independent and the opposite of competitive. :) 

No comments: