Sunday, November 18, 2012

Half Marathon - PR

I ran a half marathon with my friend Laura this morning.  It was a perfect day for running (45 degrees, crisp and cool).  We just decided to do this race on Wednesday so my training for it was a bit limited but the course was a really nice trail.  Pretty rocky but flat.  It was an out and back trail (the marathon runners had to go out and back twice - yuck!!)

The race had two start times - we were in the first "heat." I finished in 1:50.  My initial goal was to be under 1:53 (my last PR - 8 years ago) and my secondary goal was to be under 1:50.  I was the first female finisher (don't know the results of the second heat so this could be trumped). Overall I was very pleased with my time!

Laura and I ran the first 4 miles together and then I pulled ahead.  She finished just 2 minutes behind me.  (Sound familiar Nicki?!) :)  We had made an agreement at an earlier race that we wouldn't feel bad if we split up (we are both quite competitive.)

This was Laura's first half marathon.  I've done quite a few but the last one I ran was in 2004.  I stopped running completely in 2006 and even then didn't go over 3-4 miles at a time.  I've been so amazed at how fast I've been able to pick up running again.  I'm faster than I used to be which is fun.

Back in March my hips were bothering me so much that I couldn't have run even a mile.  Thankfully, that has resolved.  I just started running again, very casually, back in July.  It's been a fun 4 months!!

 Laura and I after the half marathon!
Below is a photo of me in the sun glasses I won for coming in first (female).
Hahaha!  They even have red stars on the side.
The 1st thru 3rd place marathon finishers win cash.
No such luck for the half marathon runners. :)

Update:   Between the two start times I was the 4th female.  The official first place female finisher came in at 1:30!  Amazing!!!  (#2- 1:41 #3- 1:48)  I think if I were to keep training and run this race again with Lauren leading me I could probably have shaved 3-4 minutes off my time.  I am still happy with the overall results! I am so thankful for my health!!

No comments: