Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Salmon "Salad"

I read the book "Real Food" by Nina Planck recently.  It is a good read and has changed the way I shop for and prepare food.  I will probably do a post on the book soon but thought I would mention it as one change I am making is to incorporate more fish into our diets.

For those of you who know me well you will know that I really dislike anything that comes from the sea.  In the pursuit of health I am going to learn how to like it.  Here is one "fish dish" that I thought was scrumptious.....

8 ounces of cooked salmon (I used wild alaskan pink salmon) - diced -- canned would work
Cumin
Cilantro
Red pepper
Dried Cranberries
Avocado - diced
Small amount of mayo (the "healthy" grocery store here sells a safflower mayo) - that is what I used
Mix together


Serve with whole grain wild rice -- I added a small amount of butter, cumin, garlic, and cilantro to the rice.  I would have added lime juice too but I didn't have any.

I also roasted broccoli with garlic and olive oil.


YUM!  Easy, healthy dinner.

Erik ate it; Lainey wouldn't touch it.

If we didn't have nut allergies in the house I would have added pistachios to the "salmon salad" as well.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

yum yum yum! this sounds SO good. i'm not a huge fish fan either but i try to eat it occasionally--the oils and the iron and whatnot. you can see how excited i am. :P

interestingly, i'm making my way through a national geographic from a couple months ago about the world fisheries crisis.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/10/seafood-crisis/greenberg-text

very readable. i often feel like i am caught between a rock and a hard place when choosing what to buy to eat, which translates into what kind of industry i support. DAH.

as you're looking at more fish, check the monterey bay aquarium's list of good seafood to eat, separated by region!

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_recommendations.aspx

--liz :)

Mike & Karly said...

you should post pics with you recipes! :) not that you don't have enough to do...

mom2three said...

I'll have to try. Last year I read her book, Real Food for Mother and Baby...I imagine the two books are similar, but if you read both, I'd be curious what you think. Also recommend Nourishing Traditions cookbook. Perhaps I will try this recipe, I am not a fishy person myself!