Saturday, March 6, 2010

Thankful

We had to cancel our vacation today. Erik had a fever of 103 most of the day. Worse than the fever though is the horrible coughing spells he had been having the past 24 hours. Since around 3 pm Friday his little body have been overtaken with a horrible, barking cough -- these episodes would last for around 45 minutes, resulted in vomiting and left him gasping for breath. He had around 10 of these episodes prior to his doctor appointment this morning.

On Saturday there is only one doctor available. Of course, it happened to be the only terrible doctor in the practice (out of 10-12 providers). Dr. Incompetent spent about 2 minutes examining him and deemed him healthy. No signs of anything concerning at all. The coughing spells -- due to post-nasal drip. I doubted this and questioned her a little bit -- do you think he needs a chest x-ray or nebulizer? Nope - not necessary. Is there anything else we can do to help him with his coughing spells? Nope.

We go home. I watch my poor baby struggle through another 45-60 minute coughing spell. It is now 12:05 pm - clinic is closed. I call the on-call phone number. Great. Dr. Incompetent is still on call. I explain the episodes to her again. Is there anything that can be done? Nope. He is fine. Keep him hydrated. Stop giving him so many liquids at once (the kid had probably only consumed 5-10 ounces in the past 12 hours). If no urine output for 12 hours you can take him to the ER.

I hang up the phone. Help Erik through one more coughing spell. No way am I waiting another 12 hours. Drive him to the pediatric ER -- on the way I have to pull over to help him through yet another coughing/puking episode. Watch his face turn purple. He falls asleep before we get to the hospital holding his dirty puke bucket.

Pediatricians in the ER are wonderful, competent. I explain what has been going on to them -- did not tell them that he had been seen earlier that morning though. The resident and staff doctor listen to his chest and both say they hear a few scattered wheezes but are concerned that he might have pneumonia in his right lower lobe (this was what I had heard as well). Chest x-ray is obtained and found to be normal. Yeah! The doctors give him a Popsicle and observe a coughing/puking episode. Agree that he most likely has viral croup/bronchitis and give him oral Decadron (steroid).

We go home feeling relieved and listened to (not just a psycho parent like Dr. Incompetent makes you feel like). Erik had one more coughing/puking episode on the way home. I was worried that he might not have absorbed all the steroids. I was wrong. My sweet little boy is now SO much better. He is still coughing but has not had another puking/gasping episode in the past 5 hours. For the first time in the past 4 days he has requested food and water. I am thankful!

Both kids still have low-grade fevers. Lainey has a course, junky cough but nothing like Erik. I am hoping and praying that they will continue to get better. The pediatrician in the ER said the steroids should help Erik for the next 72 hours. Hopefully, the virus causing the bronchitis will be gone by then. He tested positive for strep on Thursday so he is on Amoxicillin as well.

I am planning on talking to the practice manager at Erik and Lainey's pediatrician's office about Dr. Incompetent as this is the second time in a row she has misdiagnosed my kids. I have never done anything like that before (complained about a doctor to their "employer") - any suggestions as to what to say would be welcome.

Go squeeze your sweet babies!

2 comments:

mom2three said...

Oh I am so sorry- this sounds so stressful, Ann. I pray that everyone is completely healthy soon. Poor Erik. Good luck with the conversation with the practice management, I have no advice. Will be curious to hear how that goes. Sorry about your trip. We are thinking about/praying for you guys. Love,Jill

Ben and Robyn said...

Ann - I'm so sorry that you guys had to cancel your vacation! I've been following your updates closely, hoping that you'd all be healthy enough to go. Sad to hear about "Dr. Incompetent." Having been on both ends of the spectrum (the one who treated more conservatively on the initial presentation of a child and the "hero" who "finally" got it right) I would recommend not dwelling too much on the fact that you felt Erik was misdiagnosed. Everyone just gets defensive, then. Instead, stress that you didn't feel listened too! Since kids can't talk for themselves well, that is the most important part of being a pediatrician! And the fact is, if she would have listened to you, she would have heard the words "barky" and "vomiting after coughing episodes where he turns purple." Which to me is a no-brainer xray and steroids!!! Good luck with everything!
Robyn