Sunday, October 14, 2012

Race Day!

I ran my second race in 6 years this morning!  It was a fun run.  Cool and breezy with a pretty flat course.  I just started running 3 months ago after being challenged by my friend/neighbor/fitness instructor to complete 26.2 miles over the course of a month long fitness challenge.  I did that without a problem and have continued to run since then. I am faster now than I have ever been, despite minimal training and a 6 year break.  Exciting!

This morning's race was a 10-miler.  I've never done that length before (have done  5k, 10k, 13.1 miles and 26.2 miles but not 10 miles).  It was a nice length.  Not too painful.

I have been running with 2 friends once a week for 60-90 minutes but those are the only long runs I've done to prepare (4-5 of them).

My race time today was 1:20:40 which is approximately an 8 minute pace (for 10 miles!).  Admittedly bragging, I think that is a fairly amazing time.  Only 4th in my age group (was hoping for 3rd) but 2 of the people who beat me were my buddies.

I ran the whole race with my friend Lauren but ran out of steam at mile 9 and she finished 44 seconds ahead of me.  (I think her mile 10 splint was 7:30, I couldn't do that at that point in the race.)  My friend Tracy, caught us at the end and finished 30 seconds before me, my friend Laura was about 3 minutes behind me.  Between the 4 of us we have 12 kids, pretty impressive. We range in age from 31 to 37.

Here are some photos from the fun morning!

 Laura, Me, Lauren, and Tracy

My cheering squad.
Lainey and Erik made signs and Lainey had her
K-state gear and poms with her!  So cute!


Aren't they cute?!
I love these little guys!


Carson raced out onto the street to greet me when I went by (good thing no one else was around me).
I didn't stop to say hi, he was confused! 

 Carson is always so happy.
He really just melts me heart, sweet boy!

 The race beginning/ending was located at a park on the bay.
The entire run was along the bay which was beautiful! 
There are lots of beautiful places close to our house.
 Rocks and water, some of his favorite things!
Happy and animated, that's my little guy!
Thank you to Victor for getting the kids ready this morning and 
bringing them all out to cheer me on!  So fun!


1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

I am super impressed! I wish I liked running...maybe one day I will.