Thursday, October 11, 2012

Just a bit of daily chaos

Having three kids at home is quite busy.  Erik's at school 3 hours a day which he loves but it still feels like I have 3 at home almost 100% of the time.  They're overall pretty well-behaved and enjoyable.  Life is WAY easier now than it was a year ago.  That being said, they still get into plenty of trouble.  Yesterday was a good example of this.

After lunch, I took Carson upstairs to put him down for a nap.  I had asked Erik and Lainey to come up with me and they ignored that request.  I got a bit distracted by the mountain of laundry in my room.  When I got to Erik's room to put away his basket of clothes I noticed 3 towels spread across his floor.  Annoyed, as it's not completely uncommon for the kids to strew clothes across the house, I sighed as I went to pick them up.  Well, imagine my shock when I realized that Erik had intentionally put the towels on his floor to cover up piles of vomit.  Yep, puke.  Apparently, he had thrown up in the middle of the night and didn't tell anyone about it.  He never acted sick and I since I didn't know about it, he didn't miss any school.

So, I called E and L upstairs again.  This time Lainey came.  I read her a book and put her to bed.  She decided this was a non-napping day and tried to come out of her room.  I put a stop to this but she still never slept.

Then I went downstairs to retrieve Erik who was still ignoring me.  Well, he was hiding from me in a kitchen cabinet eating a big hunk of bread that I had clearly told him he couldn't have.  He had managed to traipse crumbs throughout the entire kitchen.  Great.

I ask him to clean up the kitchen mess (guess how successful that was) while I go back upstairs to tend to the vomit.  I get his room cleaned up, call him upstairs, read him a book.

I go back downstairs to tend to the huge kitchen mess.  Once the crumbs are vacuumed up I figured I would call a friend while I cleaned up the rest of the lunch mess.  (Carson is the messiest eater I have ever met, every meal results in a messy disaster.)  When I pick up my phone it says, "Locked for 60 minutes."  I'd never seen that before but figure the kids must have messed it up.  Oh well.  I can wait.

Start to clean up the big kitchen mess only to realize that Carson is already up from his nap (45 minutes instead of the normal 2 hours).  Since Lainey and Erik aren't sleeping I let them come back downstairs too.

I do manage to get the kitchen cleaned up and my phone unlocked.  When I go to call my friend I see in the call log that the last call that had been made was  9-1-1.  Really, kids!  Good thing the cops didn't show up I might have sent one or more of my trio for a ride in handcuffs.  Ha!

Thankfully, most days aren't quite as chaotic as that, but I thought this deserved mentioning.

2 comments:

Katie S. said...

Sounds unfortunately familiar. I bet you slept well last night.

Austin & Terri said...

I still think that it's so funny he covered up his puke!