Thursday, September 15, 2011

Silas Update

Silas is still in the hospital but doing well.  It was confirmed that a UTI was the cause of his fever and tachycardia.  He had an ultrasound which revealed that he has a Ureteral Duplication which makes him prone to urinary tract infections.  He will need to be on prophylactic antibiotics for quite a while and follow up with a pediatric urologist for further treatment plans.

Ureteral duplication is a pretty common anomaly - found in about 1% of people.  To read more about it go here.

I'd have to say I hope that this is the last baby to be born with a urogenital abnormality in my circle of friends. This is the 3rd baby in 17 months born to one of my close family/friends with a significant urogenital anomaly.  Enough!

Mike and Sonja I hope you get to take sweet Silas home tomorrow!  We are praying for you!


Another sick baby to keep in mind: 

My neighbor called me this morning to let me know that her 7 month old son Bobby was flown to Children's hospital in the middle of the night in respiratory distress.  He had been stuffed up and quickly went downhill overnight - turning blue and gasping for air.  As of this evening he had been extubated (breathing tube removed) but was still very junky.  He was born at 25 weeks (one of twins) and has only been home for a month since birth.   He twin brother has thankfully been quite healthy.

No comments: