Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Super Soup -- Kale Sausage



Sausage Kale Soup --

Ingredients:

One Large Sweet Potato
Yellow Onion
Garlic
Bag of Kale
Spicy Sausage
Chicken Broth (6 cups)
One Can of Crushed Tomatoes
Oregano, to taste
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Directions:

Saute' sausage.  When cooked, use small amount of sausage grease to sauté kale.  Set sausage and kale aside.

Saute' diced onions and garlic.  After 2-3 minutes add sweet potato.  Saute' 5 minutes.  Add can of crushed tomatoes and oregano, salt, and pepper.  Add chicken broth (I used 4 cups of chicken broth and 2-3 cups of water).   Bring to a boil and cook until sweet potatoes are tender.  Add kale and sausage back into the soup and cook until warm again.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy!

My kids are very adventurous eaters but I didn't even attempt to serve this too them - green leafy things always get rejected and the sausage was quite spicy.  Victor and I sure enjoyed this soup though.

Our family is doing a 30 day paleo type food challenge (with some exceptions made for the kids) so I have been forced to expand my vegetable and meat recipes.  This is a keeper!

2 comments:

mom2three said...

Tell me more about how you decided on Paleo....love to hear. I have really been moving toward Paleo over the past few months (although haven't been super strict about it) after reading more about the grains and their impact on our guts. Recommend "Eat Like a Dinosaur"- excellent book on Paleo with recipes- have you seen it?

Our family said...

Hi Jill,

I have the "Eat Like A Dinosaur" book and think it does have some kid friendly ideas.

Overall, I am not sold on Paleo but will be doing more reading. I've left dairy in the kids diets for the 30 day challenge along with oatmeal and occasional grains.

We are doing this because I feel like we have gotten a little lazy and I've been filling the kids up with too many grains and using them as a replacement for fruits and vegetables. They are cheap and easy! Certainly our veggie consumption has increased this week!

Ultimately, I anticipate that we will do a modified version long term. Leave dairy in the diet, at least in moderation (homemade yogurt). I will likely add beans, brown rice, quinoa, flax seed back in as well.

I hope to eliminate all grain and corn based snacks (and not replace them with other paleo dessert versions) in our house.

I think I will eliminate sugar permanently too with the exception of baking once a month?

I don't want to be so extreme that the kids go crazy in an uncontrolled environment but I do want 90% of what I feed them to be healthy and nutrient rich (rather than nutrient enriched).

I have read some articles regarding cereal grains that are concerning. I am not sure what I think overall but I don't think anyone can argue that filling up on carrots, brocolli, squash, etc. is worse for you than a piece of toast?

I am planning to read more before the 30 days are up so I can have a more formal plan by then.

So thankful for a flexible husband!