Saturday, August 25, 2012

Road Race

Between the years of 2001 and 2005 I ran quite a bit.  A marathon, 5 or 6 half marathons plus a few smaller races.  In 2006 I did a couple of small triathlons.  Since December of 2006 though I have been either pregnant or nursing a small baby and just too tired to run plus I was pretty sick of it.  I've still spent a large portion of my life exercising since then just not in the form of running.

In June my neighbor and exercise instructor challenged our class to participate in an Ironman triathlon, completing the distance over a period of 5 weeks.  This required running 26.2 miles.  Once I finished those miles I decided I kind of liked running and have been trying to run 2-3 times a week since the beginning of July.

On a whim I signed up for a 10 mile race in October.  One of my friends from the gym (Laura) is running that too.  I asked her this week Tuesday if she wanted to run with me this weekend.  She invited me to join her on a 10K race.  I said sure!

Well, guess what!  We had a great race.  We ran together the whole time until she sprinted the last 100 yards and I kind of limped in (not quite that bad!).  She placed first in our age category and I placed third.  We had been ahead of the women who placed second the whole time until the last 100 yards but never did I ever think I'd place so it didn't bother me when we got passed at the end.

Laura, an old cross country runner was not about to be passed during the very last leg though!  So she took first place and I took third in our age category (aging has some perks).

The women who placed first in the race overall came in at 37:58.  Amazing!!!  The women in their twenties that placed had times around 45 minutes.  Laura came in at 52:16 and I came in at 52:33.   Our  split time was about 8:28/mile for 6.2 miles.  I actually think I impress myself! Haha!  

Now I'll have see if I can keep up with Laura for the 10 mile race!

 The kids and Victor came to cheer me on!
 Post race photo.
 (I'll have to remember to take a pre-race on next time!)
Us with some of our kids, her 5 year old is missing!

1 comment:

mom2three said...

Great job, Ann! I ran a 10K in July but trailed you with my time of 56 Min! I'd like to try the Pewaukee Triathalon next year. Wish you were nearby to run with- might improve my speed then! :o)