Wednesday, August 24, 2011

East Coast Earthquake

Yesterday, I experienced my first earthquake.  This is not something I thought would happen in the DC area!  It was a bit scary but quite quick.  We had just gotten home.  All 3 kids were sleeping so I had just transferred Erik and Lainey to their beds (from the van).  Carson was in his car seat on the counter.  Suddenly, the house started vibrating and swaying back and forth.  I heard a loud thump upstairs.  By the time I got to the steps it was all over (30 seconds at most). 

No damage here.  I was afraid Erik had fallen out of bed but it was just some books that had fallen off of his bookshelf.  Quite an interesting experience!

The epicenter was about 90 miles from our house.  The earthquake was a magnitude of 5.9.  Here are some photos of damage.....


There was actual damage to lots of houses closer to the epicenter but thankfully, as far as I know, no one was hurt!  Now we have to brace ourselves for the hurricane headed this way!

No comments: