Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August Budget

Total Saved:
$140

Groceries: Over by $194 
- I really am not sure how I got so over in this category.  I blame about $10 on the lady who yelled at me last week (led to me buying M&M's, Ice Cream, and Oreos) but I am not sure about the rest.  Most likely it is due to the fact that I have been buying lots of local fresh fruits and veggies but then spending the same amount at the grocery store as normal!

Fixed Costs: Over by $14
-Our electric bill was really high this month.  This will gradually drop (although then gas will go up as it gets colder outside).  Our insurance bill was really high too.  This bill fluctuates every month which drives me crazy so Victor has figured out how to get a fixed rate which will help with planning.  We add preschool in again in September which will make it tougher to stay under in the fixed category.

Entertainment: Over by $20
We ate out more than normal this month, went on a date, and Victor traveled for reserve weekend which isn't reimbursed and goes in this category.

Household/Unexpected: Over by $450
I probably need to readjust our "expected" costs in the budget as we always spend more than is budgeted for in this column.  So of it is fun stuff that could be reigned in but a lot is just day to day expenses for a family of 5.

Medical Costs in August:
$200
Gas Costs:
$232

"Fun: expenses:
-Bought presents for Erik's upcoming birthday and party ($100)
-I had my hair done ($100)
-Victor outfitted the garage with wall hooks so we can park both vehicles in the garage now (just in time for the hurricane) ($200)
-Lots of travel - Baltimore for PA conference, Annapolis for minivan, DC to visit Austin and Terri, Norfolk for Navy weekend
-Gymnastics registration + annual membership fee ($175)

Next month expected expenses:
-Nothing major although we are adding preschool for Erik and possibly Lainey with bumps the fixed cost column by $250
-Hopeful Girls night in DC over Labor Day weekend

Goal:
Get back to saving $500 of his regular salary sometime soon!! :)

Lessons Learned:
I have learned to be extra appreciative of Victor being willing to work 2 jobs while I stay home! If he wasn't in the Navy reserves we would either have to really change our current lifestyle or I would have to go back to work.  Saving $150 a month just isn't enough!  So, I complain less about the travel the reserves requires as I am thankful for the extra savings and the freedom to stay home with my kids!

1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

I am so glad you came to see us in DC! I had so much fun talking with you. Wish we could have spent more time. Also, if it makes you feel better, Austin and I are over on our vacation budget and our bathroom remodel budget...and I mean WAY over. Not fun. At all!