Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Blind "Date" Catastrophe

Erik and Lainey take a couple of classes through the park and rec.  A new mom befriended me in one of them a few weeks ago.  I knew from the start that she was unique but I was friendly with her anyway.  Too friendly it seems at she asked for my phone number.  I didn't add her number to my phone so I was caught off guard when she called to arrange a play date.

I suggested meeting at a playground but she was very insistent that we come to her house.  I explained Carson's nap schedule makes it difficult to be gone for long periods of time so it may have to be a short playdate as she lives 30 minutes from us.  She didn't seem concerned, so we arranged to meet at her house around 11 AM a couple of day later. 

It was worse than anticipated.  Thankfully, Erik liked her older child who is school aged.  Here is a list of things that we experienced during the long 1.5 hours we were there... 

1- Immediately told to take shoes off (not a big deal we take shoes off at our house too but set the tone)
2- Kids told not to play in one room as something glass was in that room
3- Lainey scolded for playing with a kid size rocking chair -- we have one the kids use all the time, this one was apparently decoration
4- the Mom inquired as too whether or not Erik pees sitting or standing as her bathrooms have wood floors and she insists her school age child sits!
5- Her toddler was hungry but she wanted him to wait to eat.  So, he threw a 45 minute long LOUD tantrum.
6-The mom cleaned out an already clean potty seat while we were there
7- The mom wiped down the toilet after her school age kid went to the bathroom
8- The mom unloaded the dishwasher while we were there (first time at her house ever!)
9- The mom told me her previous salary prior to staying home
10- The mom's cell phone ringer is programmed with her husband's voice so that when he calls it says something along the lines of, " Pick up this call!"  She made sure to point it out to me when he called.
11- She had Lainey drink out of a sippy cup (which she hasn't used for a year!) which wasn't a big deal except she asked for 2 minutes before if she still used them and I told her no!
12- She talked to me about strange things -- height of the cabinets in her bathroom, etc.  She didn't ask me a single question the entire 1.5 hours I was there. 
13- She told me prior to moving she never, ever had friends over because she was (past tense) too big of a neat freak.

There were more odd things but I'm sure you get the idea.  I luckily get to see her again tomorrow.  I don't think she had any idea how awkward being in her house was so I am sure she will want to have us over again.  She was gracious but completely unenjoyable.   I do have her number in my phone now and will screen her calls.  Any other ideas about how to politely back yourself out of a "friendship?"

4 comments:

Julie said...

Have her over to your house but don't clean for at least a week before she comes.

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

Maybe she will find your blog? :)

Austin & Terri said...

Hahaha! That sounds awful! I had to laugh though because of how ridiculous she sounds.