Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

We are all sick with runny noses, coughs (Erik puked all over his bed last night from coughing), gunky eyes, and sore throats (so painful I debate whether or not I should swallow or just drool!). Even little Carson is sick.  Victor is still feeling well but I'm not sure how long that will last (he should be counting down the minutes until he gets to leave the germ house for work!).

Despite the sickness I am having a great Mother's Day.  Victor and the kids made chocolate chip pancakes and let me sleep in today.  The kids drew me pictures for a gift.
Erik cut my pancakes, Lainey poured the syrup

I have always longed to be a mommy.  When I was in college applying for PA school I remember telling my mom that I really hoped to get into school but really what I wanted more than anything was to be a stay-at-home mom someday (I was single at the time).  So, if I didn't get in I would be okay.
 I am so thankful that both "dreams/goals" were fulfilled.
Picture of me drawn by Erik (3.5 years old)

That being said, it is sometimes easy to forget how big of blessing these little kids are.  Lots of days are filled with crying, tantrums, fighting, wiping butts, puke, etc.  Kids cost lots of money which requires sacrifice (less new clothes, vacation, eating out, etc.).  Time alone with your spouse is limited and it is not at all unusual to have to cancel date night due to a sick kid.

During the past 3-4 years of being a mom I have kind of approached Mother's Day as a "I am the queen day!"  By that I mean I had a list in my head of ideas that would make the day special and if they weren't met I spent the day feeling sad and disappointed, probably a little grouchy too.  I don't think it is wrong to what a day "off" once in a while but my attitude/expectations were a little off.

This year I have been reminded how truly blessed I am to be a mom.  There are SO many people who want to be a mom and can't (or haven't had it happen yet), have sick kids, or even worse their kids are no longer living.  Those who read this blog know that Terri and Austin lost their baby boy Jake a few minutes after he was born.  I have learned so much about life from them.  Despite their terrible loss they still manage to approach life with hope and a thankful heart.  I think about them and baby Jake constantly.  It has made me a more grateful person and patient mom.  Terri, I wish more than anything you could be cuddling Jake in your arms today, but please know I have learned so much about life and being a mom from you this year.  Thank you for being such a beautiful example of grace and strength.

So, on this Mother's Day the "list in my head of expectations" has been torn up (hear Victor cheering) and I am just taking an extra moment to say a prayer of thanks for my kids and family!

I hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing Ann. Happy Mothers Day and hope you feel better soon!

Michelle said...

Hope you're all on the mend soon!

Austin & Terri said...

Love you Ann :)