Thursday, May 19, 2011

Elaina - 23 Months

This is the last monthly update for Lainey since she is almost 2 years old!  Amazing!

It was obvious from the start that Erik and Lainey have very different personalities.  This is becoming more apparent as Lainey gets older.  Here are a few positive and negative traits that have become more apparent recently...

1) Funny as can be! 

Lainey has a wonderful sense of humor.  She loves to "tell jokes" and do silly things for a laugh.  She makes us laugh a lot.

Nursing my cabbage patch doll


2) Confident but polite...

Lainey is more bold and self assured both at home and in a social scene then Erik was at this age.  She doesn't cling to me or hang out on my lap like Erik used to do.  That being said she does tend to be observant of others for a while before warming up completely.  She is good at sharing and is kind to other kids when in a social setting.


3) Devious/Sassy....

Lainey is one of the busiest kids I know.  She is always doing something and it's not always good.  Here are 3 examples of sassy behavior from today...

a) She knows she can't climb on the counters.  After the 2nd or 3rd time I found her on the counters this morning I took her off and gave her bottom a gentle swat reminding her once again that she can't climb on the counters.  She didn't seem upset but about a minute later I saw her glare at me, then working as hard as she could peed on the chair she was standing on (she had just gone to the bathroom 5 minutes before so this took effort).  I just shook my head at her.

b) She is sneaky and proud of it.  I was working with raw chicken this morning.  Lainey must have noticed I was busy so she took off upstairs.  I saw her and followed her a couple of minutes later.  She is always after two things upstairs; either our toothpaste or my cough drops.  This morning I found her upstairs sitting in my bed with 6, yes six, cough drops shoved in her mouth.  She knows without a doubt they are off limits.

c) Erik was in time out on the steps this afternoon because he had knocked a glass of water off of the counter while fighting with Lainey about a bowl.  Lainey kept yelling out to him, "Erik you dropped water.  The floor is wet!!"  After 2-3 similar comments from her I reminded her that Erik was in time out and we don't talk to people while they are in time out.   She was quiet for a minute but then shouted loudly, "Erik, you dropped the glass.  Floor is wet. "  She then turned to me and with a smirk on her face said, " I talk to Erik mama!"

Beautiful "baby"

Oh my!!  I can promise you there will be stories to be told about this girl during the next 20 years.  I just hope and pray her sass/spunk is directed towards positive things.  I also hope I can figure out a way to help correct her behavior when inappropriate, praise her spunk when used for good things, all the while maintaining a close and intimate relationship with my precious daughter.  It is a somewhat scary challenge.  She is a sweet, spunky girl that we love to pieces!

No comments: