Monday, June 25, 2012

On to Washington!

  Erik has long been fascinated with wars/soldiers.  Since George Washington was a soldier and a president I spent a bit of time teaching Erik about him this weekend.  To continue with the presidential theme I decided to take the trio to Mount Vernon today!

We had a great time!  Erik is old enough now that he is VERY interested in learning new things.  It is fun!!  He really had a good time exploring everything at Mount Vernon.  His favorites... the war movie detailing Washington's military career, exploring the mansion, and seeing the round barn where Washington created a new way to thresh wheat.

I guess they use to do this manually by throwing the wheat up in the air??  The barn he designed was round, with thin opening between the floor boards.  They (the slaves I am sure) laid out the freshly harvested wheat on the barn floor and then horses trotted over it forcing the wheat to separate from the straw.  I wonder what he would think if he saw a combine!

For more accurate info go here... Threshing

This trip was also very last minute and plagued with poor communication (I had the ringer on my phone off).  Despite that we managed to spend an hour or so with my friend Jenn and her kids James and Hannah!  It had been a long time since the kids had seen each other.  Erik and James got along great and spent time discussing their maps and exploring the land.  Very fun but definitely made me miss their family more!  (They are part of my DC playgroup that was a big part of my life while we lived in Alexandria.)

Erik and James - explaining what the hook over the campfire was  for

Lainey and Carson did great too!  Lainey does not enjoy walking, heat, being hungry or tired and I kind of pushed all of these issues today. Ha!  She still seemed to have fun - loved petting the sheep and playing with the baby dolls in the kids museum area.
Sweet Lainey coloring (her baby is coloring too)!

A cabin Erik built, with a little help

Carson is a little terror and was off and running as fast as he could until the very end! :)

It was a fun day!  There are so many neat things to see and do within 2 hours of our house!  I look forward to being able to take lots of day trips with the kids in the future!


No comments: