Monday, June 25, 2012

Girls Night and Tourism Travels

The past few days have been fun! 

Victor is always generous about letting me spend a night away 1-2 times a year.  I had been super grumpy the past couple of weeks and asked if I could get away for a night this weekend and he was happy to oblige! (Maybe, because I had been so grumpy! It's NOT roses all the time people!) 

I know I have been to California twice this spring by myself which has been great.
I've loved spending time with Daron, no matter what the circumstance.
I'd have to say those trips weren't quite the same as a stress-free day away though.

So, while I felt a bit guilty asking to get away by myself so soon after being in California, I sure did
enjoy the weekend!

I met 3 good friends at a wonderful restaurant in DC (Founding Farmers). 
We had wonderful cocktails, dinner, dessert, and conversation.
It was so nice to see everyone!
Jeni and Karen
Bad lighting and only half of the group

I got a really good deal on a room at the Westin in DC.
I think that was the first time I had ever slept on one of their premier "Heavenly Beds!"
Oh.my.word!  It was awesome!
I slept for 10 hours and don't think I even rolled over!
I wish I had a need for a new bed as that is what I would get for sure!

On Sunday I toured DC as if I was in town on a vacation.
It was fun!
I walked from the hotel over to the Tidal Basin.
I walked around the entire thing. 
I had never seen the FDR or Martin Luther King Jr. monuments so that was neat.

After that I walked over to the Ford Theater and got tickets for a tour, something else I hadn't ever done before.  I learned quite a bit about Lincoln, FDR, and Thomas Jefferson during my explorations.


I have decided I don't think I would have been a fan of Thomas Jefferson.
Did you know that despite being the main writer of the Declaration of Independence ( "all men are created equal") he was a slave owner and unlike many of the other earlier presidents didn't even free his slaves when he died?  Well, the only slave family he freed was Sally Hemings and her children all of which happened to be his kids too (6 of them - not all surviving infancy)?! Wow!!  

He would have really needed a good press secretary if he were alive today!

No comments: