Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Camper!

Erik has been attending camp all week.

 I was nervous about it because it's everyday (8:45-12:00) and he, nor I, knew anybody else attending or staffing the camp.  The first day I dropped him off I had knots in my stomach and they stayed there until I picked my baby up!  There are probably 200 kids attending the camp this week ranging in age from 4-12 or so.  The first 15 minutes all the kids are in the gym singing worship songs together (it's at a Catholic school).  This is fairly organized but still quite loud and chaotic.

Thankfully, Erik has had no worries.  He LOVES camp!! He has always loved preschool but says this is much better! Ha!  He wants to go every week.  Yesterday, the camp pick up time conflicted with Lainey's gymnastics class.  I asked him if he wanted me to pick him up early or if he would prefer to go to after-care until Lainey and Carson got up from naps (3:30).  He enthusiastically chose after care.  He refused to even consider being picked up early.  He asked to be picked up late again today.  I told him no but suggested he could stay late one day for every week of camp (he is going to 2 more weeks later this summer).

This whole camp thing has been tougher on me than I expected.  He is SO excited about going and I am very, very thankful for that!  That being said, I feel like the mother bird who just watched her baby fly for the first time and it is bittersweet.  It has made me extra thankful that he has another year before kindergarten.  I also had been considering going back to work part time because I think I know the practice I would want to work at and the more time I spend away from the medical field the harder it will be to go back.  Watching Erik flourish at camp (and in other areas) this summer though has reminded me just how short the first few years of their lives really are.  It's the only chance I will get to really spend oodles of time with my kids so for now I will just volunteer once a week instead. (I don't have this arranged but am in the process of doing so.)

The theme for his class is "Intro to Sports."  They talked about the Olympics today.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, so cute! he's a rock star. are swimming lessons next? ;) liz

Our family said...

Swimming lessons were the last two weeks!

Austin & Terri said...

Growing up so fast!!