Thursday, November 10, 2011

When I was Old/Twinkle Twinkle

"When I was old...."  is the way Erik starts almost all of his pretend stories.  They can be about anything... being a farmer, being a parent, shoveling snow, digging for dinosaurs, etc.  He tells me at least 2-3 "When I was old" stories daily and has been for 3-4 months now.  At times I remind him that he hasn't ever really been old but most of the time I just savor his creativity and the fun stories.

One of his buddies James is 6 and not quite as amused by Erik's imagination.  One afternoon James came over to verify with me that Erik hadn't ever been old before.  That night, he told his mom he wasn't sure he could be friends with Erik anymore because he wasn't a fan of "When I was old" stories! Ha!!  The next morning they were out digging for fossils under James' deck though.

It is interesting to see the developmental differences between a 4 and 6 year old surface from time to time.  They are both quite interested in rocks, diggers, guns (it's innate I swear), dirt and most recently Tae Kwon do so those common interests seem to win out these days.  James is a great neighbor and friend so hopefully Erik was give up the "When I was old..." stories before he really irritates his bigger buddies!



Little Lainey LOVES music!  She always has and I love it!  She sings herself to sleep most of the time.  She is very opinionated about what music I play in the van.  She also sings throughout the day.  Her two favorite songs to sing are the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle.  Her favorite song to listen to is the "Monkey Song."  I don't know the actual name of this song but it is number #1 on the CD we got from Cullen's 2nd birthday party.  She insists we put the CD on repeat for first tract every nap and nighttime.  Lots and lots of the Monkey Song!


I have been trying to capture her singing for a month or so.  As you can see she has been a bit camera shy.  I finally was able to get her to sing through a song or two.  Of course, sibling rivalry had to kick in for that video. Oh well.  Enjoy!