Sunday, November 13, 2011

Food Challenge: Week 2

Well, we made it through the week one goal of eating 2 servings of fruits or vegetables at every meal without any difficulty.  In the past I think we probably were eating 3-4 servings a day instead of 6-7.  The kids adjusted without any problem as did Victor and I.  I did notice I felt full (or bloated) more than normal.


Week 2 Challenge: "Real Beverages"  

Beverages will be limited to coffee, tea, water, and milk (only naturally sweetened with a little honey or 100% pure maple syrup). One cup of juice will be allowed throughout the week, and wine (preferably red) will be allowed in moderation (an average of one drink per day).

This will not be a challenge for Victor, but I have to give up my daily diet coke.  I have been thinking about this for a while but haven't tried since I really "need" my morning jolt.  I do know it will be better for me though.  Not to go completely crazy I did get some black tea which apparently has more caffeine that diet coke! I am 2 days into this challenge and miss the diet coke more than I anticipated.  We will see how the week goes!

We are planning to continue week one still in addition to week two.

For more info on healthy beverages go HERE.

I tried 2 new recipes this week, homemade humus and crock pot "refried" beans.  Both were great although I made the humus a little spicier than Erik would prefer. 


Easy Slow Cooker Refried Beans

  • 1 onion, peeled and halved
  • 2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
  • ½ fresh jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and chopped (I used 4-5 small peppers from our garden)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ¾ teaspoons salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • cumin and chili pepper to taste
  • 6 cups water (or 2 cups of chicken broth plus 4 cups water)
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.  Cook for 7-8 hours (until tender).  Mash up or blend 25% of the bean mixture.  Serve.

I have made these twice.  Once I made them more of a chili flavor and served them over home made cornbread and topped with cheese.  The other time I used more cumin for a "taco" flavor and served them in burritos with avocado, red peppers, cheese, sour cream, and cilantro.  Yum!!

All 3 kids love these beans and they are easy and super cheap!  Enjoy!!  If you are participating in this journey at all how did you do this week?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i noticed when i increased my intake for fruits and veggies, i needed to decrease my intake of other things in response--mostly meat and refined grains, but also grains period. fiber does take up tummy room! :) LIz