Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tae Kwon Do


I have been thinking about signing Erik up for a Tae Kwon Do for a while but it is pretty expensive and requires a 12 month commitment but the classes were 20% off last weekend and Erik seemed excited to try it so we signed him up for a year!  He will take classes once a week.  If he absolutely hates it we can transfer the membership to Victor or me.  

His first class was last night.  It started out a bit rocky....

Erik stood or sat with his hands over his ears refusing to participate for about 20 minutes.
Great. 
Visions of Victor in a big white suit were dancing through my head.  
Not pretty. 

The instructor was really wonderful with Erik.
The class is multi-age with all levels of skill.
The first part is a group warm up which is pretty fast paced and loud so I 
wasn't surprised that Erik was overwhelmed. 
There were 5 instructors at that class so one sat next to Erik and 
tried to be funny, get Erik out of his shell.  
Eventually it worked.  

The second half of the class the kids are broken up into groups based on skill.
There were 5 or 6 kids there for the first time last night.  
Erik was the youngest.  By the time they split into groups Erik was 
comfortable and eager to participate. 
The instructor really tried to make the class fun for the newbies so 
I could hear Erik giggling out loud throughout the class.  
Cute!!  

Erik is the last one on the right. 

There is a weekday class available at 10 AM for 3 and 4 year old kids which may 
work better for Erik but it is smack dab in the middle of Carson's nap which is already 
disrupted 3x a week.
We are going to try evening classes for a couple more weeks. 
If there is too much time spent holding his ears Carson's nap me be sacrificed for his sibling. Again.

Erik has talked quite excitedly about his "thai" class today. 
He really enjoys the punching and kicking. 
I told Erik he needs to do well because he is learning how to be Chinese!
I think he knows I am joking.

(Photos are blurry because they are super zoomed in on my phone.)

5 comments:

mom2three said...

That is so cool. Funny, we just took Ben & Abby to a class last month and I really liked it (so did they)- not ready for the time and $ commitment yet- it is across town- however I thought it was awesome for teaching discipline and self confidence and strength, etc. I thought maybe we would go as a family next year!!! Keep me updated on how you like it!

Anonymous said...

Brad and I are exhausted just reading that! Time for bed (it's only (9:30 and we only have one baby!)

:) Sonja

Lauren said...

It always takes my guys a while to warm up to new things... I'm sure Erik is going to love his class! If not, let me know. We'd love to come watch you in the white suit! :)

Love your blog by the way!

Austin & Terri said...

Aww! Erik is so cute in that little suit!

Kristal said...

"...He's learning to be Chinese." I LOVE it!