Sunday, October 23, 2011

Comet the Spacedog

Well, as cute as this dog was, he needed to find a different family.  :(  He was really gentle and sweet but pooped on my floor 5 times in 5 days.  The first 48 hours he was fine so I got the false impression that he was house trained.  Not so much. 

Wednesday I was gone for a few hours in the morning with the kids. I knew at that point that he might not be completely house trained so I put him in the crate when we left.  When I got back, at nap time, I came home to a disgusting crate and a dog covered in poop from head to toe. 

That was it for me.  Not only did I have to put 3 tired kids to bed I had to spend nap time cleaning up a disgusting, not kid related, mess.  No thanks. 

Victor still wasn't convinced but then Comet pooped on the floor 2x the following morning, while we were home.  That did it for Victor as well. 

I called 4-5 no kill shelters in the area and all were full.  There is one in DC that said they might take the dog (no guarantees), but it was a 3 hour drive round trip, you had to pay to drop him off, and he might get rejected.  So sadly, we left him at the humane society with hopes that he will be adopted. 

We really did enjoy having a dog in the house but I think we will hold off for another 3-4 years and get a different breed as apparently house training is notoriously difficult with beagles. 

1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

I'm sure a nice family will adopt him :) I think it is probably a little too much to take on a dog along with 3 little kids! Maybe in a few years you'll find the pefect dog for your family.