Saturday, October 8, 2011

Escapee - Worst Parent Award

Last night when Victor and I were making the list for the weekend I mentioned that we (he) had to lower the crib to the lowest level this weekend.  I had mentioned this a week or two ago but then Victor was out of town, Carson was sick, and it just didn't get done. 

I actually believe the last thing I said to Victor before going to bed last night was, "When Carson gets up in the morning please don't leave his room before the crib is lowered."  He had gotten really good at sitting up this week (from laying down).  Although his head was just level with the top of the crib when he sat up I was worried that he would figure out how to pull himself up on the crib and if he did that he would fall out. 

Well, as you've probably guessed, as Victor went to get Carson this morning he heard a thump just before going in the room.  Yep, Carson figure out how to pull himself up and subsequently fell out of the crib. 

He stopped crying as soon as Victor picked him up and is acting normal.  I feel terrible though and can't stop thinking about how scared he must have been, how did he fall? (head first, feet first), do I need to take him to the ER again this weekend??

I'm not taking him to the ER, he is fine, but I feel awful.  My poor sweet baby.  He is the first baby to fall from anything in our house.  Thankfully, there were no toys on the floor next to the crib.  He crib is now in the lowest position. 

Erik of course, thinks this is quite amazing and has no qualms telling everyone how Carson "jumped"out of the crib.  Excellent!

  I do know Daron and I dropped Colin on the cement garage floor and he is now pursuing a master's degree.  Just think what he would be doing if we hadn't dropped him.  Sorry Colin!

Please tell me if you, your siblings, or children fell from things and ended up fine??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh honey. kids fall from things all the time--ALL the time, and the kids are fine. they are sturdy little monkeys, built for rough and tumble. i remember watching my cousin not just fall, but cartwheel (unintentionally) down the stairs (they were carpeted, but had wooden banisters and a wood floor at the base). he'll be fine. especially since he is acting totally fine. and i won't tell you how one day, when i was watching em, who was 9 months old and playing on the couch, and i turned my back for a *second* to grab her high chair tray, she fell headfirst from the couch to the floor (about 16"). eep! worst babysitter award! and look at her now--winning state swim events and succeeding at school in spite of dyslexia (which i'm sure a tumble did not cause, especially since when she was learning to crawl her forehead was black and blue for a month because they had slate tile all over their house). :) liz

Anonymous said...

and the cracks on the head kids have gotten at work...but i won't go into that here. :) liz

Kristal said...

Um, yeah... I could give you a list of times my kids have fallen. It would literally be a list, possibly topping ten. Kate is definitely one of the smartest kids in her class, and I trust the rest are fine, too... including Carson.

The Kruepkes said...

Nate & I spent a long night in the ER after I was putting him in his car seat, which was on the kitchen table (yes I know that's a "no-no", but I did it all the time prior to that day). Of course this time the car seat wasn't level or something and before I could get him buckled in, he and the car seat fell off the other side of the table so there was no way I could catch him. Worst feeling ever. The amazing receptionist @ our peds had the presence of mind to not only ask about Nathan, but also if I was ok. Nathan seemed ok so we stayed home. Greg wasn't home @ the time and later that night I had a work event that I went to, but when I got home and Greg mentioned Nate was particularly fussy, we went straight to the ER as much for Nate's sake as to calm my nerves that nothing was wrong with my baby. He was fine and I eventually recovered from the guilt...You are not the worst parent - the fact that you feel awful about it shows how much you care unlike the stories you hear in the news about parents who obviously do not have their kids interests in mind EVER. Glad everything turned out ok and it will make for a good story in the years to come!