Friday, December 18, 2009

I Hate Hives!



You really can't see the hives very well in this photo but I was sort of in a panic when I took it so it's all I have.

I really hate hives. I hate the fact that Erik gets hives. I hate that Erik has multiple allergies.

The first time Erik had an allergic reaction it was after eating a pancake. We got him tested and he tested positive for eggs and peanuts. This was right around his 1st birthday.

Since then Erik has had hives 3 or 4 more times. Most of the time it has been just a few small hives that are gone quickly with benadryl.

We retested Erik for his allergies last summer. Thankfully, he had outgrown the egg and peanut allergies (he tolerates both of these fine now) but tested positive for a walnut allergy.

No big deal -- much easier to avoid than peanuts and eggs. Over thanksgiving he had a small allergic reaction (just a few spots on his face). I think this was due to getting a bite of a pecan brownie -- not sure as he tested negative for a pecan allergy in the summer but can't think of anything else that might have caused it.

Yesterday, we did a craft project at home using acrylic pant. I had painted his hands. He probably had paint on his hands for 5 minutes. Immediately, after the project he broke out in terrible hives all over his forehead, around his eyes, and on his cheeks. He was crying and scratching his face all over. It did resolve within an hour after I gave him Benadryl but it was scary. For me and Erik. Whenever he gets bad hives I always feel panicked. Worried that he is going to collapse and die on me. Is this fear rational? Somewhat. Helpful or constructive? Nope.

It took me about 24 hours to recover from the stress of this allergic reaction. Erik recovered much quicker than I did.

We are taking Erik back into the allergist next week. Please pray that he will not develop any new allergies and the ones that he has go away.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Kristal said...

I'll keep you guys in my prayers. Poor kid. Poor mom! Let us know how it turns out!