Monday, January 13, 2014

To Wisconsin We Go

Well, the past 5 weeks have been a whirlwind in our house.  It started with Victor being down and out for a few days in mid-December.  A week later I had multiple precancerous moles surgically removed which wasn't a huge deal but it did slow me down and mess up my routine a bit.  Christmas was a few days later which we spent at home (in Maryland).  Right after Christmas we headed to Wisconsin for 5 days.  I had 36 hours between trips which  was kept busy with a second bout of mastitis.  Then Kyle and I headed to California for a few days.  As soon as I got back from that trip Victor headed out of town for a reserve trip.  Phew!  I'm very happy to be home although the trips were all great.

So what did we do in Wisconsin??

 Highs.....

1)  87 year old GG flew from Kansas to join us in Wisconsin!  I am so glad my kids were able to spend time with her.   I hope I am as fortunate as she is and able to enjoy my great-grandchildren someday!
 "Selfie" with GG and GG with 4 of her 7 great-grandkids

2) Sledding and Snowshoeing!

We planned this trip home very last minute.  I partially planned the trip home because I knew there was snow on the ground.  My parents live in the country and have an awesome sledding hill.  We all spent lots of time sledding (Despite high temperatures around 5 below zero!).  Erik and my parents also went snowshoeing multiple times.  Erik just LOVES snow and all outdoor activities.  I was so glad he was able to enjoy lots and lots of time outside with my Dad and Mom.



3) WaterSpa

My parents live in rural Wisconsin but it is surrounded by lots of nice places as there is a fair amount of money in the county since both Kohler Co. and Sargento have their headquarters there.  My mom and  I spent 5-6 hours at the waterspa.  I've been there twice before.  The waterspa is completely wonderful although it really does ruin any other massage experience you might have.

4) Family and Friends

We were able to spend time with my parents, Kevin and Meg, Colin, my grandma, plus many friends/family (Nicki and Adam, Scherers, "Ditters", Anne and Aly, Buries, Amy and her friend Robert).  If only the weather wasn't so COLD in Wisconsin.  There are a lot of people that I miss seeing on a regular basis.

 Don't you think Carson resembles his grandpa just a bit??


5) No one puked!

We made it both ways without Erik vomiting from motion sickness or a virus.  That's a rarity! (Bonine might be the answer.)


 Big kids sat by themselves on the way there
Two boys sleeping on the plane




Lows....

1) One of the 6 cm incisions on my leg completely dehisced.   I realized this at 2:45AM on Monday morning after feeding Kyle.  I tried to ignore the large hole in my thigh for a couple of hours until I finally decided I needed to find someone to stitch it back together since I wasn't going to be home for a week.  My Dad was kind enough to take me to the ER.  The doctor put in a couple of interrupted stitches plus steri strips.  Thankfully, that held it together until secondary healing took place.  I just took the stitches out last night.  So far so good.

2) Sleep, or lack thereof.   Kyle however was up every 60-90 minutes sometimes staying awake for 2 hours at a time.  Painful painful for his mother.  Traveling with 4 very small kids is always an adventure.  On a positive note: Erik, Lainey, and Carson all slept very well.  This gives me hope that in 2.5 years we might be able to travel AND sleep.  Haha!


It was a great trip home!


No comments: