Monday, January 13, 2014

and to California!

About 5 minutes after getting home (to Maryland) from WI, I started shaking and had chills.  I was freezing cold and couldn't warm up.  I had told Victor earlier in the day that I felt like I might be getting mastitis again.  At first I just thought I was cold because our house was fairly cold but just in case I decided to take my temperature.  I had a fever which confirmed the diagnosis.   It was New Years Day so all the pharmacies in our "farm" town were closed of course.  So Victor, after putting the kids to bed, drove 35 miles to the nearest 24 hour pharmacy.  Thankfully, the fever broke after 24 hours so my trip to California was messed up.

36 hours after stepping foot in Maryland, Kyle and I were back in the airport headed to California.  It almost never snows where we live and of course it snowed 5 inches that morning.  That wouldn't bother me much in WI but driving in snow when no one is used to snow is scary!  About 3 miles from my house a car spun out in front of me.  It thankfully, just did a quick 270, stayed on the road, and was able to keep driving, but I was a little nervous.  I only saw one other accident on the 60 mile drive and made it to the airport on time. 

Anyway, here are the highs and lows from California!

Highs.....

1)  Spending time with Daron and Feifei!

It had been a year since I'd seen Feifei and 7 months since I'd seen Daron.  This was my 6th time I've flown cross-country to see Daron during the past two years.  Feifei works unusual shifts but she was home most of the time I was there.  It was nice to spend time with both of them. 




2)  Introducing Kyle to his aunt and uncle


3) Seventy and Sunny

Headed out for a walk

Well, it was really about 65 degrees and sunny but still great. While I was in California it was -45 in WI.  Just a 110 degree difference.  Ha!

4) Apple products --

Daron finally has an iphone which I didn't know until I saw him.  Facetime seems much easier to me than skype and already Daron's chatted with the kids and given Erik some soccer tips.  


Lows....

1) Sleep or lack thereof

This lack of sleeping theme continued.  Kyle went through a little bit of sleep bootcamp this weekend so he's back to about 6 hour stretches which could still be improved but much better than every 90 minutes like we did while traveling. 



2)  Seeing my dear brother struggle.  Daron has amazing spirit and manages to enjoy his life everyday even though he's had three life-threatening infections, a relapse, a battle against graft vs host, and devastating joint damage due to chronic steroid use all in the past 4 months.   The fear that he will not be able to watch my kids grown up or that his quality of life won't improve is always there.  Oh how I wish this wasn't part of his story.   Overall though, I came home very impressed by his fight and felt that despite recent battles he seems to be about the same as he was in May.  Please keep praying for him!


I had to wake Kyle up in the cold DC air after we landed 
and he was not very happy about it!!


No comments: