Saturday, March 10, 2012

Birthday Cake For Carson!

My sweet baby turns one tomorrow.  I am a bit sadder about him turning one than I was for the other two for some reason.   Carson has been such a joyful addition to our family.  It has been a wonderful year with our little guy!

We have been super busy this past month so we just had a small cake and ice cream get together with some neighbors tonight.  It was a low stress, low cost , fun way to celebrate our boy.


I borrowed a "large cupcake" cake pan from my friend Lauren.
She kind of warned me that it might be tricky.
As you can see from the photos my cake was not so appealing to the eye.
The big hole in the middle is because the top half cooked faster than the bottom 
half but the cake pan was one unit so the only way them separately was to cook the cake "twice".
 Good engineering.  

I didn't have time so I just scooped out the undercooked part and filled it with frosting.



By the time I started frosting it I decide I couldn't really serve this to my friends.
But, I didn't want to remake it so I used it as a smash cake for Carson. 




Carson smashed the big cake, everyone else ate cupcakes.


 Singing happy Birthday!



 The smashing.


 He was not sure what to do with the cake.
I tried to help him out by cutting into it.


 He tried some frosting but that was about it.

 Always happy.
I wonder if that will continue through the 12-20 month phase of life that 
always seems to be quite frustrating for both mother and child??
One can hope!


 Erik and Lainey did a really good job staying off of the cake mat.
At the end I let him offer him a few bites.
I was proud of how well they listened because they 
were so excited for his party.



Carson and Ryan.

We sure love our sweet boy and will be sneaking in a few 
extra squeezes tomorrow to celebrate his big day!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I love first birthdays! Did that year go by as fast for you as it seems like it did to me? Looking forward to meeting that little boy soon!

akbwilliams said...

Happy first birthday, Carson.

Love,
Grandma and Grandpa (Papa)

Austin & Terri said...

Happy birthday Carson!! And that birthday cake is awesome!