Sunday, December 11, 2011

Food Challenge Week 5

This week we added the challenge of eating locally raised meat.  I bought some ground beef from a local farm but the rest of our meat was from the grocery store.  I usually only fix meat 2-3 times a week so about 1/2 our meat is now locally raised, grass fed. 

I also was able to get information regarding other local sources of meat but haven't had a chance to look into those farms yet. 

Week 5 challenge is....  Add Two new whole foods into your diet!  

Our new whole foods this week are going to be.... 

1) beets!
2) cranberries
3) Kale

I am looking for a good way to prepare beets (Jill B?!).  I have truthfully never consumed a beet before so it should be interesting.  I don't like cranberries so I never buy them but thought I should give the kids a chance to try them. 

I already made a soup using the kale and it was delicious!!

Here is the recipe....

Cheese Tortellini Soup:

Dice/Chop up the following...

Onion
Garlic -2 or 3 cloves
Sweet Potato (1)
Carrots (4-5)
Kielbasa sausage (optional -- I added about 1/2 cup from some leftovers)

Saute' for 8-9 minutes in a little olive oil
Season with thyme, oregano, and a bay leaf

Add 4 cups of chicken stock and 4-5 cups of water
Bring to a boil

Add....
4 cups of chopped kale
1 can of white beans

Simmer for 3-4 minutes, until kale wilts

Add cheese tortellini (9 oz) and simmer until cooked  (4-5 minutes)

Serve immediately, top with parmesan or asiago cheese

All of my kids liked this! 
I served it with homemade cornbread!


What whole foods are you adding to your diet this week?

5 comments:

Mike & Karly said...

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_beets_with_balsamic_glaze/

I haven't tried the recipe, but have been meaning to. :) Maybe you'll beet (haha) me to it.

Elizabeth said...

I just cut the beets into cubes and steam them, add salt, Yum. But I am very not picky. Beet soup is also relish!. I'll have to find my recipe and send you the link. I eat sauteed kale all the time! It is also very easy to grow and should grow most of the year in your climate, which is not unlike Portland. For local meat,I hear the site gowild.com is the place to find resources. If you go to your farmers market in the summer, there will be people thee selling their homegrown meat. Good luck! :) Liz

mom2mlg said...

Going to try the soup on Wednesday and loved the refried bean one from a few weeks ago! Not doing the food challenge with you but very inspired. Thanks!

mom2three said...

Hi Ann, thanks for sharing the soup recipe! Abby and Lorelai especxially like beets- we do not do anything fancy- just quartered and steamed, then a little olive oil and sea salt...can always cut them in fun shapes to make them more appealing while they are new. Definitely make sure they are not wearing any outfits you care too much about- not fun stains to try and get out. Roasted beets are even more tastey but the way I have done it take longer than I'd like.

mom2three said...

Kristi made a white bean soup sort of similar to your recipe for us with kale that was really yummy.... We have liked to put cranberries into our oatmeal with cinnamon if you want other simple ideas for cranberries.