Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fish!

I have always hated fish or any other food that comes from the sea.  As a mom though I want my kids to eat a healthy diet and think that fish provides certain nutrients not found in a lot of other foods.  Therefore, I have been trying to prepare some kind of "fishy" meal 3 times a month or so.

Tonight I tried a new recipe.  The kids and Victor loved it and I would say I even enjoyed my fish!  I didn't think to take a photo of it until it was pretty much gone but here is the recipe....

Baked Sole

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese-- I LEFT THIS OUT (didn't have any)
  • I ADDED a teaspoon of parsley as well
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground dried thyme -- I used closer to 1 teaspoon
  • 4 haddock fillets -- I used SOLE
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted -- I LEFT THIS OUT

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).  -I COOKED IT AT 450 degrees
  2. In a small bowl, combine the milk and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and thyme. Dip the haddock sole fillets in the milk, then press into the crumb mixture to coat. Place haddock sole fillets in a glass baking dish, and drizzle with melted butter. 
  3. Bake on the top rack of the preheated oven until the fish flakes easily, about 15- 20 minutes.   
I served this with a side of sauteed spinach and brown rice.  I make brown rice about 2x a week.  I almost always add a little butter, cilantro, garlic, salt, and cumin to the rice. YUM!  I also add peas sometimes as the kids eat them without any hesitation if they are mixed in rice.  

4 comments:

Ashley Schantell said...

Before I met rob, I never ate fish. If you'd told me that I'd eventually cook it at least once a week and WANT to order it at restaraunts, I would have laughed at you. But then 2 years later, I would have had to laugh at myself b/c I love it now! Not all fish of course, but most! Good luck on the fish journey :)

mom2mlg said...

I love fish but get totally grossed out making it - even though I try to make it at least every other week. Thanks for the new idea.

Anonymous said...

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

i try to keep an eye on this list as i think about buying seafood. they update it frequently and you can download a seafood watch list for your region!

glad you are able to tolerate some fishes! :)

--liz

Karen and John said...

This looks like a great recipe...I LOVE fish, but have always been hesitant to make it at home until about 15 mos ago. I try to make it once every week or so...I'll let you know how our boys like it! We also make a lot of brown rice...and I'm looking for good quinoa recipes, so if you come across any, please share!