Friday, August 14, 2009

Guide Dogs

Today we went to Old Town Alexandria and played at the great playground on Fayette. I can't go to old town without stopping at Cosi for lunch! The lady in line ahead of us had a dog with her. It was wearing a vest that said "Dog in training." The owner had no obvious disabilities but I assumed she was either training it or it was her guide dog. Well, the manager came up to her and asked to see the license for the dog. She didn't have one and was apparently completely offended that he requested to see one because she started yelling loudly at him. He left the room. The lady with the dog sat down next to our table. The manager came back a few minutes later and said something else to her. I didn't hear what he said but she started yelling and cursing loudly -- many four letter words were leaving her mouth. I got up to get Lainey out of the stroller and politely, but firmly asked the screaming woman watch to her language as I had two small kids with me. She immediately calmed down and left the restaurant a few minutes later (she actually apologized to me before she left). She didn't leave before getting a free lunch though (she demanded a refund but took the food with her --err)!

I feel bad for people who have disabilities and am thankful that I am healthy. I am certain there was a reason behind her overreaction however I think her behavior was terrible. The manager never raised his voice, was kind and polite, and was just doing his job.

After she left the manager apologized to the tables around her. He explained that guide dogs are required to have a license with them at all times. If they don't have a license he doesn't want them in the restaurant, in case there is an incident.

I looked the licensing up for guide dogs. In Fairfax county all guide dogs are required to have a license with them. Pretty interesting.

I hope that lady gets some help because clearly she must have some emotional issues and a different manager might not be so kind to her if she disrupts an entire restaurant during a busy lunch hour. Erik was actually cowering and covering his eyes with his hands while she was yelling.

On a more positive note ,what do you think of today's bow?

No comments: