Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sneaky Chef Recipes

Erik is a good eater most days. He even likes peas, carrots, humus, etc. He also LOVES cake, ice cream, cookies. I want to offer him dessert on a regular basis so he doesn't feel deprived and overeat sweets as a teen/adult. Of course, if I can find a way to make the desserts healthy and tasty even better. I bought the Sneaky Chef recipe book this weekend. Here are a couple of fun recipes I thought were pretty tasty....
Chocolate Banana Breakfast Ice Cream

1 frozen banana, cut in chunks (1 cup)
2 -3 tablespoons plain yogurt
1/2 - 1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

Blend together and serve immediately.

* I added a teaspoon of sunflower butter (peanut butter replacement) -- it was pretty tasty.



Below: Erik watching the ice cream being blended. He actually licked the top of the food processor just before I snapped the photo -- of course I missed the shot!And yes, he is standing on the counter, actually the stove. Nope not a good idea. However, I am 32 weeks pregnant, really tired, and he is in a mommy stage. He really wants to be held and cries, " Mommy up, Mommy ride, etc." over and over until I give in. I am glad he loves me and and thankful it is happening now. Hopefully, it will pass before his sister arrives in the next 6-8 weeks.


Brainy Brownies

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs (or Ener-G replacer)
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 - 3/4 cup purple puree ( 50:50 mix of cooked spinach and frozen blueberries blended together)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1/4 cup rolled oats, ground in food processor
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt butter and chocolate chips together. Cool slightly. Stir together eggs, vanilla, sugar, and purple puree. Combine with chocolate mixture.

In a mixing bowl combine flour, wheat germ, oats, cocoa, and salt. Add this to the chocolate mixture and blend thoroughly.

Pour into 9 x9 inch pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Dust with powdered sugar and sprinkles!

Enjoy!

P.S. Jill -- these recipes are for you!

1 comment:

Kristal said...

That's it! I was "deprived of sweets as a child." That's why I overeat them now. Another thing I can blame my parents for!! Seriously, though, good idea!