Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Notable quotes: Lainey and Carson

Lainey:

On the way home from soccer tonight Lainey says, "When I get big I will have milk." 

 I wasn't sure what she meant.  She was really lactose intolerant as a toddler so she drinks almond milk so I thought maybe she was referring to drinking cows milk.

 I asked, " You mean you'll drink cows milk like Erik."  

Lainey: "No mom.  I mean that I will have milk so I can feed babies." 

Me:  Well yes, if you have a baby someday (when you are MUCH bigger and married) then you will have milk.

Lainey:  I know Mom.  When I get milk I can help you feed baby Kyle.  He likes milk and only that makes him happy when he cries.  When I get milk I can help him when he is sad. 

Me:  That's so sweet Lainey!  You are a big helper with baby Kyle.  I'm guessing that when you are able to nurse a baby Kyle won't need milk anymore.  Hahaha! 

Carson:

Erik and Lainey managed to get themselves in trouble again this morning.  This time Carson wasn't involved as the crimes took place before he, Kyle, or I went downstairs at 6:45.  What did they do?  Climbed up on the counter and on their tippy toes managed to get the chocolate chips down from a very, very high cabinet. 

I was barely amused with the ice cream and definitely not amused this time.  I sent them upstairs to get dressed so I had time to come up with a punishment.  Victor had left them toast on the counter for breakfast before he left for work.  They didn't eat that (consumed a good 500 calories worth of chocolate a piece instead) so I decided I'd eat their toast for my breakfast.  (Don't worry I left them fruit and milk and Erik eats lunch at 10:30 -crazy).   

When they got back down they sat down for breakfast and wanted to know what happened to their toast.  I explained that since they ate my chocolate I decided to eat their toast (not super mature but I'm super sleep deprived and quite annoyed).  They didn't protest - either because they were full or knew they were wrong.

I explained to them that since they had stolen a bunch of ice cream and now a bag of chocolate chips that they needed to pay me back for that and I was going to have to take $5 from their piggy banks.  (Lainey doesn't care that much about money but Erik has been saving for a specific toy.)  They weren't happy with that but didn't protest much either.

After they ate their fruit and milk I sent them back upstairs to brush their teeth. 

Carson had been quietly watching everything and eating.  He seemed concerned and asked me, "Why you eat Lainey's toast?"  I explained again my childish retaliation techniques.  (Ha!) After eating about half his toast he stopped, put his toast on Lainey's plate and said "No eat my toast Mommy.  I share my toast with Lainey!" 

Oh my sweet little boy! 

I am fairly confident that thing 1 and thing 2 have been extra naughty somewhat unintentionally due to changes related to having a new baby.   When Carson was born their antics lasted about 2 weeks.  I am hoping they resolve themselves quickly again.  (Meanwhile I will keep making an effort to spend one on one time with all of them and continue to think up creative punishments.) 


No comments: