Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Happy Birthday Erik/Student of the Week!

Erik was kind of thrown into kindergarten this year!  We were home for the first 3 days of school but then Victor and I were out of town for an entire week.  Erik woke up to a person who is basically a stranger on Monday morning (8/26) and didn't see me again until Saturday evening.   My parents watched the kids from Monday night until we got home from the hospital which was fun for the kids. I still think having your parents gone unexpectedly for a week, knowing your mom is sick, you have a new brother, and the the baby is "sick" (jaundice) PLUS going to school all day every day for the first time in your life is a lot to handle!

Erik was convinced that he "hated" school by the time we got back but overall had done quite well during the week. 

The next week (when we were back home) he seemed happier about school.  Last Friday he came home with the class "pet" Jingles.  Jingles is sent home with the kid who is selected as student of the week.  Erik was SO excited to be picked for this and I was so thankful the teachers thought to recognize him. 

I wondered if they did this knowing his little life had been a bit chaotic.  I ate lunch with him at school this week though and the teachers aide came up to me and said, " You have the sweetest little boy.  He is kind to everyone and listens really well.  I just love having him in our class."   I ran into his teacher in the hallway and she said the same thing.  That makes a mom feel good! So I think he truly earned the student of the week title and I am pretty proud!

In addition to being selected as student of the week Erik also had his first golf lesson last weekend, a soccer game, celebrated his birthday, and went to his first sleep over (only slept for 6 hours!).  He was one happy little kid!  I was worried about how we would make his birthday special (with the new baby and soccer practice on his actual birthday) but I'm pretty sure he wasn't disappointed. 

Here are some photos from his big weekend!

 First golf lesson with James
Nothing makes Erik happier than spending time with James!

 Erik, Jingles, and Ricky
 Birthday celebration for Erik and James at the bowling alley
Ricky and Tyler also live on our block - pretty nice!
 Joint Ice Cream Cake for the best friends and birthday boys
The sleep over was at James' house
The party was originally just for James but he and James have
the same friends so Lauren quickly agreed to a joint party (helping me out big time!).
Opening presents at home

On his actual birthday both Erik and Lainey had soccer, at separate fields.
I ate lunch with him at school, we saved a few presents for him that day, and we took him out for ice cream.

Happy 6th Birthday to my sweet Erik! 

No comments: