Monday, December 3, 2012

Shenandoah National Park

Victor and I snuck away for a quick trip this weekend.  We left the kids at home with our neighbors au pair.  They had a fun time with her!

Our 7th anniversary was a couple of weeks ago.  Instead of gifts I planned a surprise trip using our credit card points to cover it as I felt guilty spending money on it otherwise.

We stayed in a small "guest house" in a small town called Flint Hill Virginia.  It was basically like a bed and breakfast without the breakfast and with a king size bed.  Yay!

Saturday we slept in, got up and ate breakfast at an excellent restaurant, and then spent most of the day hiking up Old Rag.  It was so much fun!  We hiked about 10 miles and for 2-3 miles you had to scramble up rock faces, jump over ravines, pull yourself up through narrow crevices, etc.  It was a really fun adventure (I only cursed my friend who recommended it once or twice).


Shenandoah National Park is only an hour out of DC.  I'm so disappointed we didn't take advantage of it when we lived closer!  It's a beautiful place.  We will be back!  I may only hike in the late fall/winter though because copperheads are quite abundant in this area and I am quite terrified of stumbling upon one.  Ha!

After our hike we did a little window shopping, visited an antique store owned by my friends father, took a personal tour of a Whiskey distillery, and finished the night was a wonderful dinner!  I ate Korean BBQ with kimchi rice and sautéed greens.  It was wonderful!!  The restaurant we ate at had a really wonderful band playing that night.  We stayed for two hours and even danced a couple of times.  It was a fun night!

The next morning we did a little more shopping/strolling through the little mountain towns, ate breakfast at a neat restaurant that serves only local foods, and then headed home.



It was a nice break from our busy lives.


1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

That sounds like so much fun!!