Friday, June 25, 2010

Vacation Update WI portion: Long paragraph style

We had a great time during our trip to WI/MN.  I think it is much more enjoyable to visit the midwest during summer than winter.  The weather was cool, 60's and 70's,  but little to no rain so it was great.

We spent the first night in Waukesha and stayed with our friends Tony and Katie Pantzlaff.  Thank you for hosting us!  We had a great time.  Erik got to drive Eli's jeep. Very happy little boy!  Katie was kind enough to host a girl's poker night -- Jill Burie, Katie Pantzlaff, Kristi Kruepke, Kali (Kristi's sister), and I played a tough match.  I came in a disappointing second, losing to Kali!  Prior to the poker match the Burie's fixed a fabulous steak dinner and Jill and I were able to escape for while and take a long walk like we used to do 3 times a week or so.

The rest of the time in WI we stayed at my parents house.  None of the boys were home so we got to take over the entire basement.  We did lots of fun things in WI -- visit mom's class and school playground, go fishing, visit Papa's (Tom and Gin Kestell) farm, visit old friends, birthday party for Lainey, Camp Anokijig, eat good food, long walks, trips to the gym. 

There are a handful of people I make a point to see when I am back (aside from family) and I was able to spend time with almost all of them while I was there.  I love that!  I was able to spend time with the Scherer's, Nicki and baby Charlie, Katie and her girls (pregnant with her 4th), Kristal and girls (pregnant with her 3rd and 4th), Diana (pregnant with her first), Pantzlaff's, Buries, Kruepke's.    I am so thankful to have such kind and wonderful friends. 

My favorite part of the trip though is watching my kids have so much fun.  It is fun to watch their relationships grow.  I love that Erik can remember things from past trips and eagerly anticipate them when we return.  I love to see him be braver at the farm.  I love that he wants his papa to give him a bath and tuck him in bed at night.  (So funny to see my dad doing those things.)  I love watching Lainey shriek with delight when she sees people she loves and shake her head no when I want to take her away from grandma.  What a sweet stinker! 

A few things I don't want to forget....

1-  Lainey and the fish... 
               She loves animals.  All of them and has no fear!  She reached her little hands out willingly to the cows (big and small), spent as much time as she could with Lynx and Maggie, and even wanted to hold the fish we caught from the pond. 

2- Erik on the farm...
                 When we took Erik on the farm last fall he loved feeding the cows but wouldn't go anywhere near the tractors.  This time he climbed on all the tractors with no fear.  He didn't want to get on the big tractor when it was turned on but otherwise he thought they were great. 

3- Erik with grandparents...
                 Erik has spent quite a bit of time with his grandparents recently and loves it.  He is usually quite timid about me leaving him with someone but had no qualms about it while we were there.  Victor and I went on a walk one night.  Erik usually would request to go with us but instead he said, "Grandma and Papa are staying with me?"  We left, he was happy as a clam. 

4-   Lainey with grandparents....
             Lainey has never had an ounce of stranger anxiety.  She may need to be restricted in the amount of time she is allotted with grandparents (especially Grandma) as her affection towards them is so great that she would fuss and cry if Victor tried to take her away from them and cling fast to her grandparents if I tried to take her (at least no tears for me).  Hmph!  I didn't hear them complain about it much!

We had a great time!  Thanks for hosting us!

Minnesota update to follow....

We had a great time!  Thanks for hosting us!

1 comment:

akbwilliams said...

We LOVED having you!