Sunday, June 27, 2010

Teething and Eating and Sleeping

Lainey has had an eventful 2 weeks...

Teething...

On her first birthday she only had 2 teeth -- now she was 4 with 4 more teeth on the verge of breaking through her gums.  Poor baby girl -- she has been miserable this week.  I really haven't been able to put her down at all.  Not that 2 have broken through she seems more comfortable.  Her poor mouth has been so sore it looked like a wound.  Ouch!

Dairy....

We knew/suspected that a dairy intolerance was causing a lot of Lainey's stuffiness and ear infections as a little baby so I had cut dairy out of my diet around Christmas.  During the past month I have been able to add some back in to my diet without it bothering her.  Since she had done well with that we decided to try and give her whole milk when she turned one.  I noticed that she had really loose poops and a diaper rash within 24 hours of starting the milk.  At her 1 year check up I asked her pediatrician if I should stop the dairy.  She said to keep trying it for a total of a week.  Well, by the end of the week it was clear dairy was not working for the baby girl.  Her poops were just water and her bottom was raw.  She had never had a diaper rash before so this was unusual for her.  We switched her over to soy milk for the rest of vacation (8 ounces a day to supplement nursing) and her diaper rash and loose poops cleared up within 24 hours.  I am not sure when we will try dairy again.  For now I am still nursing her about 3 times a day and giving her 8 ounces (or so) of frozen breast milk from my stash. 

Sleeping....

Lainey started sleeping through the night about a week ago.  Finally!  She did get up once 2 nights this week but considering how bad her mouth was feeling I will not complain.  7:30 - 5:45 or so has been her night.  Yay!!  She is still taking 2 naps a day -- usually around 9:00am and 1:00pm for 1 to 1/2 hours each time.  I am hoping that she doesn't regress, since I have now said this out loud!

No comments: