Saturday, March 28, 2009

Hug your kids

I am so thankful that Erik is a healthy, smart, kind "baby" boy. I was reminded of what a blessing this is when I took him in for his 18 month check up. His pediatrician is also pregnant -- due a few weeks after me. I asked her when she thought she would be returning to work after having her baby. She said she is taking an extended leave of absence starting in June -- with no return date. The reason for this is because her 24 month old son developed Infantile Spasms at 6 months of age. He has been seizure free for a year now but is globally delayed. He doesn't talk at all and doesn't seem to be able to follow commands. He has a feeding disorder, fine motor delays, etc. He is receiving a lot of therapy but there is little else they can do but wait and see what happens. The prognosis for him is poor -- he will likely always be severely cognitively delayed. I felt so bad for his mom/Erik's doctor (almost started to cry as I was talking to her). I thought it was quite amazing she was so open with me -- my heart goes out to her family. She said the most frustrating part of it is that even though she spends all day helping other peoples kids there is very little that can be done to help her son. Poor thing! So -- let's say a prayer for them, a praise for our healthy kids, and then give our sweet babies a big hug!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Great thought! I've had the same thought myself a lot lately.

Kristal said...

Yes. We are so blessed. Situations like that of your pediatrician always help us keep perspectives. We'll certainly pray for her.