Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Egg/Nut Free Cooking

As most of you know Erik is allergic to nuts and eggs. Therefore, I have spent a lot of time trying to figure how to make everything I would normally make without eggs/nuts and still have it taste good.

A number of my recipes have been requested by friends (thank you!) -- both with and without allergies. I thought the easiest place to put them would be on my blog. I may not have time to do all of them tonight but some of my favorite egg/nut free recipes are chocolate cake, oatmeal pancakes, monster cookies, and carrot muffins (very healthy!).

Erik enjoyed blueberry oatmeal pancakes this morning. He LOVES pancakes. Here are some photos. (He wasn't very cooperative.)






OATMEAL PANCAKES:

1 cup flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup oil
1 banana

Blend ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Cook on a griddle. Erik likes them best with a few blueberries added to each pancake. Enjoy!


CHOCOLATE CAKE: (Aunt Janet's recipe)

3 cups flour
4 tablespoons cocoa (I usually add more)
2 teaspoons soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups cold water
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vinegar
3/4 cup salad oil (I usually use a little less)

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Make three holes -- place vinegar, vanilla, and oil in each hole. Pour water over the top. Mix thoroughly with a spoon. Spread evenly in a 9 x 13 pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

I usually make chocolate frosting -- using butter, cocoa, powdered sugar, and milk. You can follow the recipe on the back of the cocoa container.

I love this recipe and so does everyone I have ever shared it with!





No comments: