Friday, October 16, 2009

Potty Training

We have officially taken diapers away from Erik. Victor had Monday off of work (Columbus Day). He was kind enough to spend that day potty training Erik. I had read a couple of different books on it and we decided to go for the One Day Training Method. On Monday Victor and Erik spent the morning teaching Max the Monkey how to use the toilet -- giving out rewards for success on the toilet. In the afternoon, Erik's diaper was replaced with underwear and Victor then focused on Erik using the toilet.

Erik had been practicing on the toilet for the past 2 months but we had never been very serious about it. He did however, know how to poop and pee on the toilet before Monday which I hope makes the transition easier. Since Monday he has done well. He has been dry all day Thursday and Friday.

He had 1-2 accidents on Tuesday and Wednesday. I sent him to school Wednesday in a cloth training pant -- he peed in it and it leaked onto his teacher. They have requested he wear pull ups at school now until he gets a hang of it better. :)

Anyway, even though he wore a pull up to school today it was dry when I picked him up. Yeah!
He also stayed dry during a 3 hour nap yesterday and a 2 1/2 hour nap today. The only time we are putting him in pull up is at nighttime and school.

He has stayed dry for a few outings so far and has sat on a few public toilets (he was scared at first) but hasn't actually used one.

So, is he potty trained? I am not sure whether he is or I am. He will tell me on occasion that he needs to go to the bathroom but most of the time I have to force him to sit on the toilet. He does have control and seems as though he is aware when he needs to go but holds it as long as possible (or until I suggest he sit on the toilet). I am encouraged by the 2 accident free, diaper free days though and am hoping he will continue to do well during the next couple weeks.

I'll let you know how he is doing!

3 comments:

Ben and Robyn said...

So, it TOTALLY counts as potty trained, even if you have to prompt every trip to the bathroom. I like to think that the really intelligent kids are just too focused on learning about everything else around them to remember a detail as small as getting to the bathroom on time! If they understand the concept that pee and poop go in the toilet, they're trained! Congrats!

mom2mlg said...

Yea for Erik (and Dad and Mom too)! Once diapers are gone, it counts in my book.

Kristal said...

Amazing. Especially with an ear infection!